Monday, January 9, 2012

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Half-Blood


Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout


Published: Spencer Hill Press, 2011


Pages: 281


Series: Book 1, Convenant


Purchase Links:
Book Depository


Summary: The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. 
Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. 
There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow.  Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts:  After reading Daimon I was incredibly excited to read Half-Blood.  I loved the way Daimon was written and the story of it so I was really looking forward to Half-Blood.  Half-Blood started off right where Daimon ends and from there it went in a direction that reminded me a lot of Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead which I had read not so long before starting Half-Blood.


I got to about a quarter of the way in and decided to take a break from Half-Blood because it was just too close to Vampire Academy for me to continue reading for the moment.  Then a few months later and a few books later I went back to it and I absolutely devoured the rest of Half-Blood in one sitting.

Yes, Half-Blood is quite reminiscent of Vampire Academy for the first part but once you get past that it’s a good story of its own right.  I had a lot of fun reading Half-Blood.  I’m always a fan of Greek mythology and I thought that Half-Blood did it with a really unique and interesting twist.

I liked Alex, I thought she was an awesome character and I thought she was awesomely tough.  I always like reading about kick butt female characters so Alex was just awesome.  I also liked Caleb and Aidan.  They seem like super nice guys.

While I could guess where the plot was heading I still had a lot of fun reading Half-Blood.  I really liked Jennifer’s writing style and thought it was pretty really good.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Half-Blood and thought it was a good read.  I’ll definitely be on the lookout for the next book in the series, Pure, when it comes out in April.

Source: Spencer Hill Press for Review

3 comments:

  1. See I have never read VA so I couldn't compare it to that. It did however remind me of an adult romance series. I liked Half-Blood and I encourage you to continue with the series because Pure just blew me away. It was better than Half-Blood and some of the things that irked me a little in Half-Blood were taken out in Pure.

    Thanks for the great review, I do hope you continue on because Pure might be the best book I've read so far in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be picking up Pure. So many people have said that Pure is amazing so I'm definitely going to read it :)

      Delete
  2. It gets just plain insulting though once you get to the part in the office... god you could almost literally substitue the words mentioned from the book with strigoi, rose and dimitri and you would have Vampire Academy. Its otherwise well written and interesting but it looses a ton of points in my book for being a stolen idea. I mean, come on. Thats just pathetic. If this book interests you, trust me, go buy Meads series, its much better written as well in my opinion.

    If youre looking for a cheaper version and a stolen idea this is the book for you. Im wishing I wouldn't have bought this now if only out of loyalty.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!