Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Title: Touch of Power


Author: Maria V. Snyder


Published: Mira, 20 December 2011


Pages: 394


Series: Book 1, Healer


First Line: "The little girl wouldn't stop crying."


Summary: Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos. 

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After just discovering the amazing quality of books from the Mira Imprint and hearing really good things about Maria V Snyder’s other books I was really looking forward to reading Touch of Power.  Needless to say from the first page I was entranced.

I am a huge fan of fantasy and I lapped up all 394 paged of Touch of Power like it was nothing because it was so captivating and I loved every page I read.  I loved learning about the different magic’s in the world and what each one did.  It was really fascinating.  I enjoyed learning about Avry’s magic and hope to learn more in the next book.

I really liked Avry, she was strong willed and a kick-ass heroine.  I loved her independence and I just thought she was a fantastic main character.  I thought the supporting cast was excellent as well and I couldn’t help but love all of them.  I even loved Kerrick who seemed to be such a jerk but later on I definitely warmed up to him.

Another thing I loved about Touch of Power was the plants.  I really like plants and this book has Peace Lily’s and Death Lily’s and it was just so interesting how they played into the story and I just thought it was a really unique and interesting concept.

All I have to say is, if this is as amazing as Maria V Snyder’s other books then I really need to go get me some more of her books because this one is so good.  It’s excellent in fact, and I can’t wait for the next book in the series, whenever that one comes out.

Source: NetGalley

1 comment:

  1. I kind of know Maria V Snyder as The Maker of strong, kick-ass female characters so I'm not surprised that Avery is awesome but I am incredibly happy she can continue to make such awesome characters. Thanks so much for the review! Can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!