Monday, December 5, 2011

Shattered Dreams by Ellie James

Title: Shattered Dreams


Author: Ellie James


Published: St. Martin's Griffin, 6 December 2011


Pages: 352


Series: Book 1, Midnight Dragonfly


First Line: " 'I heard this place is like ... haunted.' "


Summary: Sixteen-year-old Trinity Monsour wants nothing more than to live a normal life. But that isn’t as easy as it seems. Trinity is different. She isspecial. She sees visions, and for those she’s seen, it’s already too late. 

Trinity arrives on her aunt's doorstep in New Orleans with virtually no knowledge of her mysterious heritage. She begins settling into life at a new school and even starts making friends. But all too quickly her dreams accelerate; twisted, terrifying visions of a girl locked in a dark room. And when the head cheerleader, Jessica, goes missing, Trinity knows she has no choice but to step forward with what she's seen. 

But people believe that Trinity has information about Jessica's disappearance not because of a dream, but because she is involved. She is kind-of dating Jessica's ex-boyfriend, Chase, and Jessica did pull a nasty prank on Trinity. Revenge seems like the likeliest scenario. 

Nothing prepares Trinity for the dark odyssey that ensues while searching for Jessica, including the surprising romance she finds with Chase, or the shocking truths she learns, not just about the girl who has gone missing, but the past that has been hidden from her.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Psychics have always fascinated me and psychic murder mysteries are always things I absolutely love.  I loved both the psychic and the mystery element about Shattered Dreams.  What I didn’t like was the way the characters interacted with each other and their actions.

The psychic part was done absolutely brilliantly.  It portrayed Trinity in a light where you could see that she was a psychic but at the same time you couldn’t help but wonder if she was a little bit crazy and the lines between reality and fantasy started to blur together so that you didn’t really know whether Trinity was actually the bad guy in this or if she truly was just having these visions.

As for the mystery part.  It was really good too.  Was Jessica just playing a prank on people; playing a game?  Or did someone nab her?  It’s quite hard to tell.  I know that I latched onto a certain character and hoped that it was them that was the bad guy.  In a way I was right but I was also wrong.  I don’t want to spoil anything but you just have to read it to find out.

The one thing that just really irked me about the book was how the characters acted.  I felt like in so many of the situations that Trinity was in that she acted in the exact opposite way that I would have.  Then there was Chase and his name really suited him because that’s what he did for most of the book.  Chase Trinity, chase the past, chase the bad guys.  I just found him to be kind of annoying in that sense.  Then there was Amber.  Now, Amber was meant to be a drama queen and a bitch but she just did it so over the top that I found it really frustrating.  There were just so many characters that got to me that it dragged the story down a little bit for me.

Aside from my not liking the majority of the character interactions I was intrigued by a couple of characters and I would like to know a little bit more about them.

Overall, I thought that Shattered Dreams was really good.  It was just the characters acting like they do in the cheesy horror movies that annoyed me a little bit.  However, the mystery and psychic aspects of the novel really drew me in and they were brilliant; so I’m definitely going to be looking out for the next book in the series.

Source: NetGalley

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting this!! The author is my dear friend, and she is every bit as lovely as this book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!