Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hushed by Kelley York

Title: Hushed


Author: Kelley York


Published: Entangled Publishing, 6 December 2011


Pages: 260


First Line: ' "I feel that suicide notes lose their zing when they drag on too long." '


Summary: He’s saved her. He’s loved her. He’s killed for her. 

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him when hopping from one toxic relationship to another—Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed. 

Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is. 

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants… And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  Hushed sounded like it could be a really amazing book, or it could be a book that sounded amazing but was executed poorly.  Luckily, Hushed happened to be a brilliant novel.


I was sucked into the story from the first page.  I just absolutely loved Archer and I couldn't get enough of him.  I sided with him straight away and you just really felt for him.  I wanted to jump into the book and look after him.  Kelley York did an amazing job at portraying Archer as a hurt character.


Then you have Vivian, and Vivian is a person that you just hate.  I couldn't stand Vivian.  I hated the way that she treated Archer and then later on in the book she just became this really awful person.


After that is Evan, I loved Evan.  He is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I love how caring he is.  I also love that he isn't perfect but he is one amazing guy.  I loved the relationship between Evan and Archer, they're so good together and you just really want them to have a happy ending.


I think that one of the biggest thing that makes this book so brilliant is that all the characters are flawed and have big issues.  It's more how they deal with the issues that's the problem than anything else.


I must admit that as I got deeper into the story I was starting to get really scared about how the book would end.  Archer is going around killing people and things are starting to get out of hand.  You just can't help but feel  like there can't be a happy ending for Archer; but I know that I really wanted there to be a happy ending for Archer and for Evan.


I have to say that the ending was a really good one.  It was realistic and I absolutely adored it.


Overall, I would say that Hushed is an absolutely brilliant piece of writing.  There's so much complexity to it that you get sucked along into Archer's deep darkness and you want to bring him out with you.  Hushed is more on the darker side of books but it is so well done that I encourage everyone to read it.

Source: NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!