Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Title: Every Other Day


Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes


Published: Egmont USA, 27 December 2011


Pages: 352


Summary: Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.

And then every day in between . . . She's something else entirely.

Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why
she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.

When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Every other Day is the first book by Jennifer Lynn Barnes that I have read and I thought it sounded really good and I’m happy to say that it was really good.  One thing I have to say is that the synopsis barely gives anything away at all to be honest so I thought that was really good.

I thought that Every Other Day was pretty well action packed.  Kali is awesome taking down hellhounds, zombies and so many other different creatures or the preternatural as they are known in this book.  I found them to be quite interesting and Kali was just awesome.

I am a huge fan of mystery and I liked that there were a couple of mystery elements to the book.  The first mystery was what exactly Kali was.  I had some idea about how she became the way she was but I didn’t know what she was and I thought it was really interesting when it was revealed.  The second mystery was what was happening at the school or in the wider world relating to a certain person.

As for characters, I really loved Kali and the supporting cast.  My favourite character though, was Skylar.  Skylar was the best character and I thought she was so amazing.  I loved how throughout the book she just showed up at the oddest and most random of times, it was really awesome.

I really enjoyed Every Other Day.  It was a really light, fun read for most of the book and I managed to predict a lot of the things that were going to happen but there was one thing at the end that absolutely threw me.  I did not expect it at all and I’m quite unsure of how I feel about it.  I think it was really good because it made the story quite different to the usual books I read.

Overall, I really enjoyed Every Other Day; it was fun and quite unique.  If you’re a fan of the supernatural then definitely give this one a try.

Source: NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!