Monday, November 7, 2011

The Jesus Fish and Slaughter Bird by Clark Casey

Title: The Jesus Fish and Slaughter Bird


Author: Clark Casey


Published: No Dead Trees Press, 2010


Pages: 63


First Line: "It was winter 1983."


Summary: An epic novella about four twenty-something lost souls who meet in a bar in Manhattan in the early 1980s. The rollicking narrative follows them for 20 years of their turbulent (and often funny) lives into the turn of the century. The cast includes an aspiring musician/artist and hypochondriac desperately trying to rid himself of his native Queens accent, a racist pool hustler who falls for a Chinese girl, a well-endowed shy girl in search of true love, and a pretty girl with abandonment issues and a dream of becoming a “florologist.”  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I wasn’t sure what to expect from The Jesus Fish and Slaughter Bird.  For starters, I had no idea what a Jesus Fish or a Slaughter Bird was and then there was the cover.  I thought it was quite a random cover and I wasn’t really sure what it had to do with anything.  Luckily, however, both were explained in the book.


I got a few laughs out of it but for the most part I just found it really interesting.  The story was quite different to the kind I would usually read but it was highly entertaining.  I found myself really immersed in the characters lives and the story and I just really enjoyed reading through the story.

The Jesus Fish and Slaughter Bird is a novella so it’s a good book to read on a rainy afternoon.  If you’re looking for something different and this one sounds like your kind of book, then definitely read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!