Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Interview with Kersten Hamilton

Last post was my review of In the Forests of the Night by Kersten Hamilton and now I have an interview with Kersten Hamilton.  Without further ado I give you Kersten:





Rebecca: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Kersten: I knew as a young child that I wanted to be a writer. I set out to have an exciting life so that I’d have something to write about. Fortunately, I survived thus far. I was not electrocuted or drowned. Most of the bullets missed, and the incidents with bears, snakes, wolves, and angry moose were not fatal—you can read more about all that at kerstenhamilton.com --but only a little more. I like to keep my wild adventures for books!
What was the hardest part to write Tyger Tyger?
There was a death in Tyger Tyger that was very difficult to write. I had to be careful not to let it overwhelm the readers or the story. As in real life, the world goes on after you lose someone, but it is not the same. I worked at showing the subtle differences in the lives of all of the characters. There was no other way to keep the story on track.
And what was the hardest part to write about In The Forests of the Night?
Kyle. Kyle is a Really Bad Guy, and not exactly sane. Since I have to be close to my characters in order to get their motivations right, I had to step closer to him than I would have liked.

Who is your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
There are many, many authors I love, but if you mean my all-time favorite in the world, it would be George MacDonald. He writes mythopoeia, my favorite obscure genre. His writing, in both his novels and short stories, deals with metaphysical questions. MacDonald is fearless in questioning his characters’ (and his reader’s!) assumptions about themselves and reality. I adore books that make me both feel and think.
When can we expect the next book in the series?
It will be out in the very early spring of 2013—so readers will actually have to wait three more months than they waited for Forests. But there is a good reason for this….
Do you plan on turning The Goblin Wars trilogy into a longer series or are you happy with keeping it as a trilogy?
….and this is the good reason. I am thinking about extending it for at least one book. But whether it is three or four, the story will be complete, and every question answered. I am almost finished with it now, and I am loving the way it all works out!
What are you planning on working on after the Goblin Wars series?
I am very eclectic in my reading and my writing. I have just sold a very fun steampunk chapter book THE MESMER MENACE, set on the eve of the Great Mesmer War of 1901, featuring a boy inventor, President Teddy Roosevelt, evil hypnotists, robots, a lightning harvester, and a dashingly brave and loyal dachshund named Noodles.
I am finishing a “Holes”–esque older MG dealing with suicide, Catholicism, immigration issues and one undead school administrator.
After that, I have a TOP SECRET YA project in the works…

Thanks so much Kersten!  If you haven't read Tyger Tyger yet or In the Forests of the Night then you should definitely check them out!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely interview! I loved Tyger, Tyger, so I can't wait to get my hands on In the Forests of the Night.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!