Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thin Air by Lynn Seresin

Title: Thin Air


Author: Lynn Seresin


Published: Lynn Seresin, August 2011


Pages: 452


First Line: "Existence was so different, before him."


Summary: Alice Ayre is no ordinary teenager. She took her first name from a statue in Central Park, pulled her last name out of the air (literally), and she’s actually almost a thousand years old. In fact, the only “ordinary” thing about Alice is that she’s in love. 

Alice was a sylphid—a winged air spirit—when she spotted Daniel Field camping in the Adirondacks and lost her heart to the handsome NYU student. Intangible to the human senses, her only hope of winning his heart resides in becoming mortal, even though transmutation is forbidden by Paralda, ruler of the air. Risking punishment, however, seems a small price to pay for a chance at true happiness.   (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I quite enjoyed reading Thin Air.  When I started it I kept thinking, wow this reminds me a little of The Little Mermaid and then I found out that it was roughly based on The Little Mermaid so I thought that was really cool.


I found the idea of the elemental people to be really interesting.  It intrigued me how the sylphs and sylphids worked in their ethereal plane.  One thing that really surprised me was how mean some of the sylphs and sylphids could be towards the others, I just thought they would all get along really well.

My one biggest complaint was that the description on Goodreads details a good portion of the book and so I was reading through it and there were parts that tried to be suspenseful but they weren’t because I had read the description and so I knew what was going to happen anyway.

While I found a lot of the story to be quite predictable I was quite surprised by the ending as it wasn’t what I had expected at all.  I thought I knew how the book was end, i.e who would be the bad guy and the battle/fight that would ensue but I was really surprised.

My favourite character was Dante.  He just added so much to the table and you couldn’t help but absolutely love him.  Shane and Daniel were both pretty awesome too.  They were just really down to earth and genuinely nice and I always like that in a character.

Alice herself was quite interesting too.  I thought it was quite interesting just how she didn’t understand the way the world works and I thought it was funny that she tried to do things that normal people just would not do.

Overall, I enjoyed Thin Air.  It was pleasant enough but I did find some parts to be a little slow.  There was one thing that I thought was missing from the story but I’m hoping it will be in future books.  I also really loved a lot of the characters.  Either way, I enjoyed Thin Air and I think that anyone who is a fan of The Little Mermaid will quite like this one as it is very similar.


Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!