Monday, October 3, 2011

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Title: Carrier of the Mark


Author: Leigh Fallon


Published: Harper Teen, 4 October 2011


Pages: 352


Series: Book 1, Carrier Trilogy


First Line: "Flames engulfed the boat, and my lungs ached as dark, noxious smoke filled the air." 


Summary: When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRís.
But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:
Rebecca: I’d seen a lot of hype over The Carrier of the Mark and so I was super excited to be able to read this one in advance of its publication date.  I started The Carrier of the Mark and sat down to read it in its entirety in an entire day.  I even stayed up later than I had intended just so I could finish the book.

Scarlett: Not having read a paranormal romance for a while I thought this one would be a good one to read because it looked really good and it as set in Ireland.  I too, found it to be incredibly addictive.

Needless to say that I enjoyed reading The Carrier of the Mark very much; it has a lot of same-ish elements to it that books in the paranormal romance genre have; but at the same time there are a lot of differences too.  To me, it’s the differences that really make this book.  They stand out far more than those same qualities.

I didn't really notice the same-ish elements myself.  I'd say this is because I don't tend to read too many PNR books.  I'm more of a classical romance sort of fan but this one definitely captured my attention.  It made me think that perhaps paranormal is an interesting way to go with books :)

For starters, the descriptive writing is really amazing.  I loved Leigh’s writing style as it was nice and simple yet captured the beauty of what was happening in certain parts of the story.  There are some very beautiful scenes in The Carrier of the Mark but I can’t say too much more about them without giving away spoilers.

The paranormal/supernatural element was quite different to others I’ve come across before and without spoiling anything, no they are not vampires.  A lot of it ties back to Irish folklore and so that is very interesting as well.

Definitely!  Leigh creates this amazing story with her magical writing and then she adds in the Irish legends and myths and that just totally blew me out of the water.  Adam blew me out of the water too but thats a whole different kettle of fish!

While there were a couple of parts of the book that were only touched on I would love to really see more of those parts in further books in the series.  I’ll definitely be picking up more books in the series because it is very interesting and quite exciting.

The characters were all quite interesting.  I didn’t really have a favourite although I did like Aíne and Rían and would like to get to know more about Rían in future books.

My favourite was Adam!  I absolutely loved Adam, as I said earlier, he blew me out of the water :D.  I didn't really like Rían all that much, maybe I'm just not a fan of the broody type of guys.  However, all of the girls were awesome.   Megan, Aíne, Caitlin and Jennifer were all people that I want to be friends with.

I quite enjoyed reading The Carrier of the Mark and fans of paranormal romance will not go amiss in reading The Carrier of the Mark.  It’s set in Ireland and features something quite different in the way of paranormal entities.  Definitely check it out as it is awesome.

I agree wholeheartedly!  This book is awesome. 


Source: ARC from InkPop for review

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your wonderful review. Sounds exciting and the fact that it has some different elements is great. I am looking forward to reading Carrier of the Mark myself.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!