Sunday, October 23, 2011

Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber

Title: Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick


Author: Joe Schreiber


Published: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, 25 October 2011


Pages: 192


Summary: Perry Stormaire is a normal high school senior– he is busy applying to college and rehearsing with his band –until he agrees to go to the prom with the Lithuanian exchange student who is staying with his family. It turns out that Gobi Zaksauskas is not the mousy teenager that she seems but rather an attractive, confident trained assassin. Instead of going to the prom, Perry finds himself on a wild ride through the streets of New York City as Gobi commandeers the Jaguar his father lent him for the prom in order to take out her targets. Perry learns a lot about himself – and ends up with some amazing material for his college application essays.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick is very surreal and incredibly unrealistic but still very much enjoyable.  It’s quite a short book and the beginning of it seems to go really fast without too much character development on Gobi, the foreign exchange student who goes to stay with Perry’s family.


I liked Perry at the start of the novel and found him really relatable, then I didn’t like him in the middle because he kept making things worse for himself and everyone else by not listening.  I did find, however, he redeemed himself quite nicely and I had a fun time reading about Perry’s adventures.

Gobi was a mystery to me for most of the book and I couldn’t really figure out what was going on or anything.  Then towards the end, Gobi became more developed and her story was explained and I found myself on her side and agreeing with her ideas.

There were a couple of things I felt were slightly under developed but for the most part this book had everything it needed to be an interesting and fun little read.

In some ways I would say it is a light read but at the same time there is a lot of violence and it is thrown around in such a blasé manner that this book would probably be better suited for a slightly older teen reader, or at least a mature reader.

Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick is the kind of book that you can sit down and read in one sitting, have fun with and not have any regrets about reading it once you finish it.  Really, it’s just a fun read and while I was expecting a few more laughs I did get one or two out of it.  I didn’t really have any expectations apart from having a laugh from this book and I think that is the best way to approach this novel.  If you go on with no expectations then I am sure you’ll really enjoy this novel as it is something different and a nice change of pace and atmosphere.

Source: NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!