Thursday, September 15, 2011

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Title: Drink, Slay, Love


Author: Sarah Beth Durst


Published: Margaret K. McElderry, 13 September 2011


Pages: 320


First Line: " 'One hour until dawn, ' Pearl said."


Summary: Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops. 

Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees. 

The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?

Thoughts: I had never read anything by Sarah Beth Durst before and I had heard a lot of good things about her so I decided to pick up Drink, Slay, Love to read because it sounded really funny.

I quite enjoyed Drink, Slay, Love. I haven't read a vampire book for a long time so it was a nice change.  I liked how the vampires were portrayed in this one too.  They were evil, selfish and basically just ruled within their own vampiric community.  They even had a hierarchy within their family.

Then there was the unicorn aspect.  I didn't ever think I would read a book that featured both vampires and unicorns but this one did it.  I really thought it was quite genius how the unicorns came into play and worked into the equation.  I don't want to say too much about it though because it will spoil the good parts.

I liked Pearl as a character.  I could see her perspective on everything really well and her emotions were really clear to me and I felt like I could definitely relate to her.  Everything that she felt was how I would feel if I was in the situation that she was in.

Some of her friends were really awesome too.  I liked Evan and Tara, I also really liked Sana.  Although, some of the characters names were a bit hard to remember.

There were also some notsome characters, such as Jadrien, whose name is rather interesting but he is a total jerk and I despised him. Which is actually what you're supposed to think I believe. I was also not a fan of Antoinette. Even though Antoinette is a fan of John Hughes films (which I am as well) she lacked any other qualities that would have made her amazing.

I had a few laughs here and there because for the most part this was a really light read and Pearl had an amazing sense of humour.

There was however, also a serious element to the book and I thought that took away a little from what could have been a really fun read.

I did enjoy Drink, Slay, Love, it was fun, unique and I got a few laughs out of it.  However, it wasn't my favourite book in the world as there were times when I felt the plot got a little slow and it was hard to read through those parts. However, if you're into vampires and unicorns then I believe you will definitely enjoy Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! You should try Sarah Beth Durst's Ice and Enchanted Ivy they were amazing, wonderful writing and quick and fun reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so curious about the unicorns in this one. could always do for laughs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!