Saturday, October 15, 2011

Blog Tour: White Witch Pond by Jody Kihara

Title: White Witch Pond


Author: Jody Kihara


Published: Jody Kihara, 22 February 2011


First Line: " 'Hurry up, Dev, it's getting dark.' "


Summary: Shaya Solen’s walk home from school takes her past an eerie pond, where one day she finds an old bracelet made of raven feathers. Soon, strange events begin to unfold: a shadowy figure glimpsed across the water, ominous nightmares haunting Shaya, and rumors of a witch who once drowned in the pond. With the discovery of a strange family connection to the witch, Shaya is drawn into a mystery that must be solved before the approaching Halloween, which is the thirteenth anniversary of the witch’s death – and Shaya’s birthday.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: Before I started reading White Witch Pond I thought it was going to be about a girl who discovers a bracelet of an old witch and then weird things start happening.  I had expected the weird things to be something like she was getting the witch’s power from the bracelet.  Let’s just say that nope, I was definitely very wrong.


White Witch Pond was quite a creepy story really and reminded me a tiny bit of a horror movie.  The ones these days where an event takes place and then strange things keep happening afterwards until the person it is affecting figures out how to stop it.  I really enjoy those sorts of horrors because the creepy factor is there and then there is the element of mystery which I always love.  White Witch Pond had all that and I really enjoyed it.

I sat down and read it in one setting because it’s relatively short but highly entertaining.  I had to know more about the creepy goings on and how things would get resolved.  It was definitely interesting.  I really liked how everything was set up and discussed.  The supporting characters were all really good too and incredibly realistic.  In other words, the mother actually acted how a mother would and things like that.

I think my only complaint about the book is that about 75% of the way through we were told how to resolve the issue but the main character, Shaya didn’t click for a really long time after that, but in saying that it didn’t detract from the story too much.

Overall, I thought that White Witch Pond was a really great, really well-written story and it had just enough creepiness to satisfy my cravings.  I would definitely recommend reading White Witch Pond.  It would definitely make a good addition to any Halloween TBR; or even just a good book if you’re in the mood for something with a little bit of a spooky twist.


Click here to visit Jody at her website.
Click here to check out White Witch Pond on Amazon

Source:

2 comments:

Comments are always awesome!