Monday, August 29, 2011

Witchlanders by Lena Coakley

Title: Witchlanders


Author: Lena Coakley


Published: Atheneum; 30 August 2011


Pages: 411


First Line: "Ryder woke to the sound of clattering bones."


Summary: High in their mountain covens, red witches pray to the Goddess, protecting the Witchlands by throwing the bones and foretelling the future.
It’s all a fake.
At least, that’s what Ryder thinks. He doubts the witches really deserve their tithes—one quarter of all the crops his village can produce. And even if they can predict the future, what danger is there to foretell, now that his people’s old enemy, the Baen, has been defeated?
But when a terrifying new magic threatens both his village and the coven, Ryder must confront the beautiful and silent witch who holds all the secrets. Everything he’s ever believed about witches, the Baen, magic and about himself will change, when he discovers that the prophecies he’s always scorned—
Are about him.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Being a huge fan of all things high fantasy I was really excited to read Witchlanders and needless to say I churned through the pages of Witchlanders in no time.  For a high fantasy novel it was quite easy to read through.  The language was simplistic but very effective in portraying the feelings and creating a suitable atmosphere for the story.

Witchlanders wasn't what I had expected.  I'm not entirely sure what exactly I had expected but it wasn't what I was given.  In saying that, I still enjoyed Witchlanders.

It's quite a unique storyline.  The magic is quite different to magic in most books I've read.  In Witchlanders the magic is either through bones or through singing depending on where you come from.  I thought that in itself was quite an interesting idea.

Both main characters were really interesting.  For starters, both are male protagonists which is a rare thing in YA these days.  I thought that both provided an interesting voice and perspective to the story and while I usually have a favourite, I like both Ryder and Falpian in this case.

There is no romance in Witchlanders, this doesn't bother me at all but for some people romance is a key thing in their decision making so if you don't want to read a book where there is no romance whatsoever, then Witchlanders would be one to avoid.

My one complaint about Witchlanders is that there seemed to be a lot of back and forth between different characters that seemed unnecessary, almost like it was there just to stretch out the story a little bit more.

Overall, I would say that Witchlanders was quite a pleasant read.  I had fun reading it and it provided a nice change of pace from other books I've been reading lately.  I believe there should be a sequel though I haven't found any information on it being a sequel but the way things ended there should be.  I know that if there is I'll definitely be picking it up because Witchlanders was quite enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I see the cover of this book, I have to stop and look again, it's so eye-catching.

    I didn't realize that both protagonists are male; interesting! That's definitely rare these days, and might just bump the story up toward the top of my TBR list.

    Good review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!