Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Vanishing by Melissa Douthit

Title: The Vanishing


Author: Melissa Douthit


Published: Lucky Bat Books, July 2011


Pages: 118


Series: Prequel to The Raie'Chaelia


First Line: "Jeremiah Maehbeck stroked the greywing fletching on his arrow studying the shape carefully."


Summary: In The Vanishing, a prequel to The Raie’Chaelia (rye-kale-ya), reveals Jeremiah’s story – the handsome, young champion archer and hunter, who catches every girl’s eye and is the object of his doting mother’s affection.

Cradled in the beautiful Auramont Vale, Branbury is a farming village, lush with crop fields and evergreens that cover the land. It’s country life is slow, calm, and hard-working. The enormous Mount Vaassa lies to the west looming over the village like a tower and its resources provide an extra source of livelihood and recreation for the townfolk. Jeremiah Maehbeck is one of those who enjoy the wild beauty of the mountain and the quiet escape that it provides from a life that he does not want. Pressured by his father to marry and settle down, Jeremiah makes other plans but something happens and he experiences a hard knock that he is not expecting. What is it and what does it mean for him? What are his plans and why isn’t he happy?
 (Taken from Smashwords)

Thoughts: After reading The Journey Begins, I was really looking forward to reading this second prequel to the Raie’Chaelia.  This one features the male protagonist of the series and I absolutely loved it.

I liked Jeremiah, he seemed like a pretty cool guy.  I’m always interested in characters that are good at archery.  That made Jeremiah especially awesome in my mind.  Jeremiah was a really sweet guy and I look forward to reading more about him.

There were some very interesting supporting characters too.  Especially, Aemis, he was just really funny and it reminded me of something I can’t quite recall. 

What made me really love The Vanishing was the mixture of fantasy and science.  There were a couple of times where science was weaved into the story and I really loved those parts.  I’m really hoping for more of that kind of thing in The Raie’Chaelia.

I really enjoyed The Vanishing and the ended made me definitely want more.  I think that both The Vanishing and The Journey Begins are really great set-ups for The Raie’Chaelia.  They definitely have me intrigued.  I am so curious now as to just what is going on.

Source: Smashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!