Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Title: Tess of the d'Urbervilles


Author: Thomas Hardy


Published: NTC/Contemporary Publishing Company, 1997


Pages: 384


Summary: Using richly poetic language to frame a shattering narrative of love, seduction, betrayal, and murder, Hardy tells the story of Tess Durbeyfield, a beautiful young woman living with her impoverished family in Wessex, the southwestern English county immortalized by Hardy. After the family learns of their connection to the wealthy d'Urbervilles, they send Tess to claim a portion of their fortune. She meets and is seduced by the dissolute Alec d'Urberville and secretly bears a child, Sorrow, who dies in infancy. A very different man, Angel Clare, seems to offer Tess love and salvation, but he rejects her—on their wedding night—after learning of her past. Emotionally bereft, financially impoverished, and victimized by the self-righteous rigidity of English social morality, Tess escapes from her vise of passion through a horrible, desperate act.   (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: To be honest, I didn’t particularly enjoy this book.


I’m not really sure why I didn’t like this one so much.  Maybe it was because I just didn’t really understand it fully.  I didn’t understand why the characters acted the way they did and the whole point of the book is the characters and their interactions and actions.

It’s a short book so it didn’t take me very long to read at all.  I think that’s one of the main reasons I kept reading it.

I think that Tess of the d’Urbervilles is one of those books you either love or don’t.  I just really did not enjoy it.  There were some parts I found interesting but for the most part I just didn’t think it was the best book I’d ever read.

It was quite a sad book and there were a lot of sad happenings.  That being said, Tess of the d’Urbervilles was not my kind of book but it may be for someone else.  I just didn’t really get the point of it or any of the characters to be honest.


Source: Audiobook Sync

1 comment:

  1. I have not read this book, but I did watch the BBC series and loved it. Def. watch that one, it's good. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!