Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Egyptian by Layton Green

Title: The Egyptian


Author: Layton Green


Published: 27 August 2011


Pages: 327


Series: Book 2, Dominic Grey


First Line: "Siti hummed to himself as he picked his way through the crypts and mausoleums shrouded by eerie blue fog."


Summary: At a mausoleum in Cairo’s most notorious cemetery, a mercenary receives a package containing a silver test tube suspended in hydraulic stasis. 

An investigative reporter tracking rogue biomedical companies is terrified by the appearance of a mummified man outside her Manhattan apartment. 

A Bulgarian scientist who dabbles in the occult makes a startling discovery in his underground laboratory. 

These seemingly separate events collide when Dominic Grey and Viktor Radek, private investigators of cults, are hired by the CEO of an Egyptian biomedical firm to locate stolen research integral to the company’s new life extension product. However, after witnessing the slaughter of a team of scientists by the remnants of a dangerous cult thought long abandoned, Grey and Viktor turn from pursuers to pursued. 

From the gleaming corridors of visionary laboratories to the cobblestone alleys of Eastern Europe to a lost oasis in the Sahara, Grey and Viktor must sift through science and myth to uncover the truth behind the Egyptian and his sinister biotech – before that truth kills them.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  After having read The Summoner, I was really excited to see what The Egyptian would be like.  I am absolutely astounded at just how much more amazing The Egyptian is.  Don't get me wrong, I really liked The Summoner but  I really really enjoyed The Egyptian, there was just so many layers to it and it was so well written that I couldn't help but fall in love with The Egyptian.


Layton Green is an absolutely brilliant writer.  The descriptions are fantastic, the dialogue is extremely clear; the information is clear, concise and doesn't get boring.  The Egyptian is one book which has been thought out and it is an incredibly well-written piece of literature.


The plot of the story was incredibly engaging.  You wouldn't think that there would be a connection between all the things outlined in the summary but there is, and it all works.  I got to about halfway through the book and wondered how on earth it could keep going but it did and it took an interesting turn that kept me engaged and guessing right until the end.


The cast of characters were all very memorable and unique.  I adore Grey, he's one mean dude.  I like Viktor, I want to know more about him.  Veronica, Stefan and Jax were all absolutely fascinating and I loved how each character was incredibly deep and complex with multiple layers to them.


I feel like I could go on forever about how much I absolutely loved The Egyptian.  It was a very well written and well thought out story and I for one am definitely looking forward to reading the next book in the Dominic Grey series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!