Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton

Title: Chanda's Secrets


Author: Allan Stratton


Published: Annick Press, 2004


Pages: 196


Summary: "As soon as I get back from the shabeen, I go next door to see Mrs. Tafa. I have to ask to use her phone to let our relatives know about Sara. I'm nervous. Mrs. Tafa would like to run the world. Since she can't run the world she's decided to run our neighborhood."
So speaks sixteen-year-old Chanda, an astonishingly perceptive girl living in the small city of Bonang, a fictional city in Southern Africa.
While Mrs. Tafa's hijinks are often amusing, the fact is that Chanda's world is profoundly difficult. When her youngest sister dies, the first hint of HIV/AIDS emerges.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Chanda’s Secrets is quite a sad and tragic story.  It is something that I don’t usually read about in books in fact Chanda’s Secrets is the first book I’ve ever actually come across that is about AIDs.  I know there’s probably a lot more but this is the first one I have heard of.

Chanda’s Secrets was the kind of book that you knew what was going to happen but you hoped it didn’t.  If I had to describe Chanda’s Secrets in one word I would say hopeful.  The book is full of hope and hoping.

I liked Chanda, she was a really strong character and I have to admit that if I was in her shoes I would not have coped as well as she did.  A lot of the other characters definitely made things so much harder for her and it really annoyed me that they did that.

Chanda’s Secrets isn’t a book that everyone would enjoy.  It’s quite a sad book but if you are interested in books about AIDs and hopeful stories then I think you would quite like Chanda’s Secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!