Friday, August 19, 2011

Blog Tour: The Raie'Chaelia by Melissa Douthit

Title: The Raie'Chaelia


Author: Melissa Douthit


Published: Lucky Bat Books, May 2011


Pages: 318


Series: Book 1, The Raie'Chaelia


First Line: "Waves pounded the shoreline, spraying mist into the wind that stirred white sands glittering in the moonlight."


Summary: When Chalice sets off for Branbury in the middle of the night with her grandfather's instructions, she has no idea of the dangers that await her. The King's men have destroyed her home village of Canton and she is suddenly thrown into a Terravailian world that she does not know. Lost and alone, she is hard pressed to evade the iron grasp of the madman who rules the land. With the help of a friendly Chinuk, an old man, and a book that she discovers along the way, not only does she find true friends and true love, but she also finds her true self and what it means to be the Raie'Chaelia.  (Taken from Smashwords)


Thoughts: I really enjoyed The Raie'Chaelia.  If I had to classify it into a genre, it would be a difficult thing to do but I think it would be fantasy with elements of science fiction.  It has a fantasy setting but then there are things in the world that relate back to science.  In other words there were some technologies in the book that had scientific explanations to why they worked the way they did.  I thought that was a really neat aspect to the story.


I liked both Chalice and Jeremiah.  Especially Jeremiah.  I'm not really sure why I think so highly of Jeremiah other than he is just a really great guy and an incredibly likable character.  Chalice is quite likable too although she did do a couple of things that I thought were a little silly at times.  The supporting cast were all very cool too.


A lot of people had been saying that there was a lot of information dumping in The Raie'Chaelia; while there is a lot of information, I didn't mind it.  I actually quite like books that provide a good amount of information in relation to building a backstory.  I didn't feel that anything was there that shouldn't be and I felt everything was mentioned in good timing.


The Raie'Chaelia is definitely a really intriguing story and I had a lot of fun reading through it.  The one thing that bothered me about it was trying to remember all the terminology in the book but it's featured enough that by the end of the book I had managed to get the hang of it.


Overall, I definitely enjoyed reading The Raie'Chaelia and I had a little sneak peak at the next book in the series in the back of The Raie'Chaelia and it definitely looks interesting.  I really enjoyed The Raie'Chaelia and I think that any fans of fantasy would definitely enjoy it.


Source: Premier Virtual Author Tours


Contests: Think this book sounds good?
You can enter to win an ebook copy with the format of your choice simply comment below with your email address.  As this is an ebook giveaway it is open internationally.  Entries close August 31st Midnight GMT +12.



Additionally Melissa herself is offering up a really awesome contest at her website:

Free e-reader or $100 gift certificate 
Enter a drawing and win a free e-reader of your choice or a $100 gift certificate to your favorite store by answering the following question: 
What is the main reason Melissa chose to go indie? To find the answer, click on
 Guest Post with Melissa Douthit, author of The Raie' Chaelia.
To answer the question go to this link and fill in the information (place answer in Message field):
http://melissadouthit.com/contact-me-2/ 

Contest ends September 10, 2011. Winner will be announced September 12th on 
Melissa Douthit's Blog. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi again!

    Thank you for posting your review of The Vanishing on your blog! The Vanishing is actually my favorite of the two prequels, so I may be a little bias on this one ...

    Btw, I think the kitten on your blog pic is so cute!

    V/r,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for review of the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I especially love strong female characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a good read, thanks for the chance!!
    jessy.wicked [at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!