Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ashes Ashes by Jo Treggiari

Title: Ashes, Ashes


Author: Jo Treggiari


Published: Scholastic, June 2011


Pages: 344


Summary: Epidemics, floods, droughts--for sixteen-year-old Lucy, the end of the world came and went, taking 99% of the population with it. As the weather continues to rage out of control, and Sweepers clean the streets of plague victims, Lucy survives alone in the wilds of Central Park. But when she's rescued from a pack of hunting dogs by a mysterious boy named Aidan, she reluctantly realizes she can't continue on her own. She joins his band of survivors, yet, a new danger awaits her: the Sweepers are looking for her. There's something special about Lucy, and they will stop at nothing to have her.   (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I’m really picky about what I like when it comes to dystopian novels.  I’ve read some really good ones that had a lot of the things I like.  Unfortunately, I just didn’t enjoy Ashes, Ashes all that much.


The premise was definitely something that drew me to the book.  It sounded really interesting and quite unique.  There were some parts that were quite well explained but then the rest of it felt like they were missing some details.  I felt that there was a lot going on but not a lot of explanation as to why or how things came about.

I just feel that there was something missing in Ashes, Ashes.  I thought a lot of it was kind of boring and I didn’t really buy into the relationship between Aidan and Lucy.  Then there was the whole Del thing; that was kind of confusing too.  None of the interactions between characters was all that great or even believable.  I did find one character to be really interesting however, and that was Sammy.  He seemed the most interesting and the most normal.  Yep, I definitely liked Sammy.

When thinking about what to say about Ashes, Ashes I just keep coming back to the idea that everything was so vague.  I like there to be enough information that I feel satisfied with the world and everything that’s going on in it but I just felt that I didn’t get it from this book.

Overall, I thought that Ashes, Ashes was quite an average read.  It just didn’t totally capture my attention and I just can’t help but feel there was something missing.  If you’re a fan of dystopian novels then this might appeal to you.  It just wasn’t the book for me.

1 comment:

  1. oh no, boring? I don't like that at all. I thought this book would be awesome. Sorry you didn't liked this one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!