Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Last Days by Scott Westerfeld

Title: The Last Days


Author: Scott Westerfeld


Published: Razorbill, 2007


Pages: 272


First Line: "I think New York was leaking."


Summary: A mysterious epidemic holds the city in its thrall and the chaos is contagious—black oil spews from fire hydrants, rats have taken over brooklyn, and every day, more people disappear. but all that matters to pearl, Moz, and Zahler is their new band. they ignore the madness around them and join forces with a vampire lead singer and a drummer whose fractured mind can glimpse the coming darkness. will their music stave off the end of the world . . . or summon it?  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: It took me a really long time to get around to reading The Last Days, which is funny because Peeps is one of my favourite books and this one is kind of a sequel to Peeps.  Needless to say, while I loved Peeps, I didn’t think The Last Days was one of my favourite books.


I liked The Last Days, it had some really interesting parts.  At the same time, it just didn’t feel as awesome as Peeps did.  I really liked the parts where you learnt a little bit more about the disease, or those who are parasite positive.

I also thought the music aspect was really cool.  As well as there being a story about the end of the world, there was the story of a bunch of people trying to create a band.  It was quite interesting how the two tied together to be honest.

One thing I really didn’t like was that the book was told with five different perspectives and for the most part, they all seemed to be very similar.  There were one or two things that set some of the characters apart but I found that I still had to check the chapter each time to see whose perspective I was reading from.

I think my favourite characters were Moz and Pearl.  Unfortunately, the characters in the story didn’t do what I had wanted them to do.  It was good to see a brief appearance of a couple of characters in Peeps though, which was pretty cool.

There was one thing that wasn’t explained that I will be wondering about for a long time, because there was a bit of a big deal made about the issue but it was never bought up again after a while, which I found a little weird.

Overall, I found The Last Days to be really entertaining but it wasn’t the best Scott Westerfeld book I’ve read.  I think if you don’t think of it as being a sequel to Peeps, which you can do, it would be better that way.

Source: Own book

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!