Monday, July 18, 2011

Hand of Fate by Lis Wiehl with April Henry

Title: Hand of Fate


Author: Lis Wiehl and April Henry


Published: Thomas Nelson, 2010


Series: Book 2, Triple Threat


Pages: 320


First Line: "Jim Fate bounced on the toes of his black Salvatore Ferragamo loafers."


Summary: When the host of a popular radio talk show is murdered, the suspects almost outnumber his millions of listeners. Outspoken radio talk show host Jim Fate dies tragically when poisonous gas fills the studio while his polarizing show, “The Hand of Fate,” is on air. In the ensuing panic, police evacuate downtown Portland – and the triple threat of FBI Special Agent Nicole Hedges, crime reporter Cassidy Shaw, and Federal Prosecutor Allison Pierce begin piecing together the madness, motive, and mystery of what just happened. And this time, it’s personal since one of the women was secretly dating the host and has access to his home…as well as possible evidence. In the days following Fate’s murder, these three colleagues and friends confront a betrayal within the team while unearthing the not-so-public life of Jim Fate. Together, they must uncover the stunning truths of who killed him, how close the killer really is, and the twisted motive for this cold-blooded murder.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: Hand of Fate is the second book in the Triple Threat series; I really enjoyed the first one so I looked forward to reading the second one.  Hand of Fate is quite different to the first book as this one is first and foremost a murder investigation.  While this is the second book, you could probably read it without reading the first one as it doesn’t reference it too much.


I found the first few chapters of the book really intriguing and unputdownable.  It was really fast paced and action packed.  Unfortunately, it slowed down after a while and I found myself slightly bored with certain parts of the book.

Being a huge fan of mysteries I loved trying to figure out whodunit.  I had some idea about who it was but I was completely wrong.  When it was revealed just who the killer was I thought back and realised that there were so many clues pointing to the person and the motives.

Hand of Fate also has a lot of background into what is going on in the three main characters personal lives at the same time.  I don’t mind those parts but I felt that everything all kind of unfolded at the end and that took away from the believability of it all a bit.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Hand of Fate, it was a light mystery novel that is fairly easy to read.  If you’re a fan of murder mysteries that is easy to read, I think that you’ll enjoy Hand of Fate and the Triple Threat Series.

Source: Own copy

1 comment:

  1. Background and backstory is a bit of a hit or miss with me - sometimes I feel it's much too heavy, you know? Awesome honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!