Monday, July 4, 2011

Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Title: Forgotten


Author: Cat Patrick


Published: Hardie Grant Books, June 2011


Pages: 280


First Line: "Aren't Fridays supposed to be good?"


Summary: I remember forwards. I remember forwards, and forget backwards. My memories, bad, boring, or good, haven't happened yet. So I will remember standing in the fresh-cut grass with the black-clad figures surrounded by stone until I do it for real. I will remember the funeral until it happens - until someone dies. And after that, it will be forgotten. Here's the thing about me: I can see my future, but my past is blank. I see the future in flashes, like memories. I remember what I'll wear tomorrow, and a car crash that won't happen till this afternoon. But yesterday has evaporated from my mind - just like the boy I love. I can't see him in my future. I can't remember him from my past. But today, I love him. And I never want to forget how much.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I thought that Forgotten was really interesting in that it was quite original.  Even the main characters name, London, was quite original. 


I thought the mystery of London's future memories were really interesting.  It made me keep on reading through parts of the book as I wanted to know more about these mysterious future memories.


I liked London, I also liked Luke.  I felt that we didn't really get to know much about Luke though.  There were parts of Luke's personality that were touched on but weren't really detailed.


I liked the writing.  It was quite easy to read and flowed quite naturally.  I sat down and started it and found that quite a few pages had flown by in no time.


That being said, I can't help but feel there was something missing from the book.  As I was reading through the pages I couldn't help but feel there was something behind the scenes that just made the book not as enjoyable as it could have been.  


I thought that the concept of London's memory resetting every day was really interesting.  What made it even more interesting was that London could 'remember' the future.  It wasn't perfectly done, as I did find myself wondering about one or two things but it's passable if you don't think about it too much.


The ending was quite a nice one, it wrapped things up and left some food for thought.  I read that there isn't an intended sequel and I think thats a good idea because you can take from the ending what you want to that way.


Overall, I thought that Forgotten was quite an interesting novel but I found it to be missing something. Maybe, if it had more details about certain things I wouldn't have felt that way.  Because I felt that there was something not quite right about Forgotten I'm going to say that it was alright.  I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either.


Source: Won from Manda of Manda's Movements

3 comments:

  1. Glad that you enjoyed reading this book. I really adored this book, but I thought Luke was too perfect. There must be something wicked about him. ;) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting and original. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this at my library.
    Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah some parts were fuzzy. What about Jamie? Wasn't she supposed to go to a trial? And they just 'happened' to catch Jonas killer, with just random luck, and with no struggle, nothing???? And also-did London start remembering at the end, I thought that she did, cause she remembered Luke, but she still wrote herself notes, so that was VERY confusing. BUT LOVED THE BOOK.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!