Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Zelah Green by Vanessa Curtis

Title: Zelah Green


Author: Vanessa Curtis


Published: Egmont Children's Books, 2010


Pages: 250


Summary: "My Name is Zelah Green and I'm a cleanaholic. I spend most of my life running away from germs. And dirt. And people. And I'm just about doing okay and then my stepmother packs me off to some kind of hospital to live with a bunch of strangers. It's stuck in the middle of nowhere. Great. There's Alice who's anorexic. Caro who cuts herself. Silent Sol who has the cutest smile. And then there's me." (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I thought that Zelah Green was quite a short book so it didn’t take me very long to read at all.  I quite enjoyed it though.


The only other introduction to OCD that I had ever had was through the television programme, Monk.  Zelah Green actually gave me a different perspective on it and made me rethink what OCD was actually like as Zelah was completely different to Monk.

I liked Zelah’s voice and for quite a bit of it I didn’t realise that Zelah was fourteen, she seemed more like a sixteen year old for a while there.  The supporting cast were all very interesting too.  I quite liked Heather and Caro the most but I did like all the characters except for two.

I thought that Zelah Green approached a few teenage issues quite well, although at times I felt that some of the issues presented were made to seem a tad to blasé for my liking.

While I enjoyed Zelah Green I thought that some parts were quite unrealistic and rushed through.  I felt like we could’ve gotten to know the characters and the story a little more than we did.  I wouldn’t have minded if the book was longer.

However, Zelah Green is quite a light, quick read and I think that it introduced the issue of OCD in quite an interesting way.  I look forward to reading the sequel at some point in the future.

Source: Library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!