Saturday, June 11, 2011

Secondhand Charm by Julie Berry

Title: Secondhand Charm


Author: Julie Berry


Published: Bloomsbury, 2010


Pages: 352


First Line: " 'What will you do when school is done, Evie?' "


Summary: In a secluded village, magic sparkles on the edges of the forest. There, a young girl named Evie possesses unusually strong powers as a healer. A gypsy's charms—no more than trinkets when worn by others—are remarkably potent when Evie ties them around her neck. Her talents, and charms, have not escaped the notice of the shy stonemason's apprentice. But Evie wants more than a quiet village and the boy next-door. When the young king's carriage arrives one day, and his footman has fallen ill, Evie might just get her chance after all . . .  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I’m going to start by saying that Secondhand Charm was not what I had expected it to be.  That being said, I didn’t really enjoy it.  I guess it just wasn’t my kind of book.


I did like the premise of the book.  The summary of the book I read sounded amazing.  Maybe, I read too much into it, I’m not sure, but I think it could have turned out a little better.  There were parts where I was really enjoying the book and was sucked into the world with Evie.  It was really good in that aspect.

Then there were parts that just frustrated me.  Evie, seemed to be a little bit of a pushover, she basically let people tell her what to do for most of the book.  As for Aiden and Evie, I felt like tearing my hair out whenever they were near each other after a certain point in the book.

There were also a couple of inconsistencies in the story line that made absolutely no sense and weren’t addressed in any way.  It could be that the copy I read of Secondhand Charm was and ARC so that part hadn’t been fixed yet however.  I also felt that there was a lot happening and it felt like something would get set into motion and then all of a sudden would just change the direction of the event.  A lot of the ideas felt half finished.

The book itself was a really light read, it was quick and the chapters are really short so it seemed to make the book flow really fast.

Secondhand Charm had a really promising story line and being a part of the fantasy genre I was really excited to read it.  Unfortunately, Secondhand Charm just wasn’t the book for me.  But, if it sounds like your kind of book then definitely give it a go!

1 comment:

  1. I hate to hear that! I really enjoyed it. I kind of just contributed Evie's being a bit of a "push over" to her innocence. I find a lot of heroines in fairytales of this sort seem to be that way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!