Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Sparkling Misfortune by Laura Lond

Title: My Sparkling Misfortune


Author: Laura Lond


Published: Dream Books LLC, 2010


Pages: 164


First Line: "I was understandably surprised when Shork, my lackey, announced that I had a visitor..."


Summary: Lord Arkus of Blackriver Castle readily admits that he is a villain and sees no reason why it should stop him from being the protagonist of this book. After all, Prince Kellemar, an aspiring hero, has defeated him in a rather questionable way. Bent on revenge, Arkus attempts to capture a powerful evil spirit who would make him nearly invincible, but a last-minute mistake leaves him with a sparkling instead a goody-goody spirit that helps heroes, watches over little children, and messes up villains plans. Bound to Lord Arkus for five years of service and sworn to act in his best interests, the sparkling is not easy to get rid of, and of course his understanding of best interests is quite different from what Lord Arkus has in mind.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I really loved My Sparkling Misfortune.  It was a simple story but it had an interesting twist in that the main character was a villain.  It’s not every day that I get to read a book from the villain’s point of view.  Especially when the villain is as funny as Lord Arkus was.


The book was short and really fast paced.  I actually found that the events of the book just flew by really fast at some points.

I absolutely loved Tulip.  He just seemed like the coolest companion ever and I wish I had a sparkling just like him.  Alas, I am no hero, (or villain silly enough to capture one by accident).  Prince Philip was another character I thought was really awesome.  I have to admit that I did have a soft spot for Lord Arkus too.  All of the characters are unique and they just have this fun way about them that made me love the story.

While some parts of the plot were predictable it was still a really fun read and I had a great afternoon just sitting down and reading through My Sparkling Misfortune.

The ending surprised me a little bit.  It wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be and I wonder if there will be a sequel.

My Sparkling Misfortune is a middle grade or junior YA as I like to call them.  But it is still enjoyable by people of all ages.  If you’re a fan of the fantasy genre and are looking for a fast-paced, hilarious book then I guarantee that My Sparkling Misfortune is a good book for you.

Source: Laura Lond for review

1 comment:

  1. I agree, My Sparkling Misfortune was really funny, while I was reading it, I would just find myself laughing at some random moments from the book.

    Lord Arkus visited our blog and told us something about himself, you might want to check Lord Arkus' Character Interview.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!