Monday, June 13, 2011

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Title: The Lost Symbol


Author: Dan Brown


Published: Doubleday Books, 2009


Pages: 509


Series: Book 3, Robert Langdon


Summary: As the story opens, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned unexpectedly to deliver an evening lecture in the U.S. Capitol Building. Within minutes of his arrival, however, the night takes a bizarre turn. A disturbing object--artfully encoded with five symbols--is discovered in the Capitol Building. Langdon recognizes the object as an ancient invitation... one meant to usher its recipient into a long-lost world of esoteric wisdom. 

When Langdon's beloved mentor, Peter Solomon--a prominent Mason and philanthropist--is brutally kidnapped, Langdon realizes his only hope of saving Peter is to accept this mystical invitation and follow wherever it leads him. Langdon is instantly plunged into a clandestine world of Masonic secrets, hidden history, and never-before-seen locations--all of which seem to be dragging him toward a single, inconceivable truth.   (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: The third book relating to Robert Langdon and his adventures as a symbologist.  I must say that I didn’t enjoy it as much as the other two.  I liked some parts of The Lost Symbol but didn’t like other parts.
There were times that I felt like a lot of this story had just been taken from The Da Vinci Code.  The basic story just felt like a rehashing of The Da Vinci Code that featured some different characters, locations and mysteries.

On the bright side, the mystery was interesting.  I love the fictional mysteries that Dan Brown creates as he takes his ideas from things that seem like they could be true.  Of course there are parts that are based on reality and that peaks my interest into looking further into those topics.

I really felt that Robert Langdon, had absolutely no growth as a character.  This is the third book about him and it seemed like he’d actually gone backwards and become an annoying character.  He just really irked me in this book because he acted as though none of the events of Angels and Demons or The Da Vinci Code had happened so he was super sceptical of everything.  I just don’t think he would’ve acted that way after his experiences.

There were so many little things that just drove me crazy.  For example, nobody listened to anybody else and a lot of the book was spent with everyone just standing around talking.  My main complaint is the ending; it just wasn’t the best ending ever.  I kind of felt like the book could have finished several chapters earlier.
I really loved that there were a lot of long explanations of historical or scientific concepts.  I know that not everyone likes those kinds of things but for the most part I really enjoy them. 

Overall, I thought that The Lost Symbol was alright.  It wasn’t something I really liked but I didn’t hate it either.  If you’re a fan of the first two books and haven’t picked this one up, then still do, as it’s quite an interesting story.  It just isn’t as good as the other two.

Source: Borrowed

2 comments:

  1. I love Dan Brown's books because they give me cause to go out and research to see what is fact and what is fiction. I also love (though I don't believe most) conspiracy theories. I'm always fascinated by the things people will believe. Like you, I didn't think this was as entertaining as Angels & Demons or The DaVinci Code, but it was certainly better than Deception Point (don't waste your time). There are definitely worse ways you could pass time waiting in an airport or on a long flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read DaVinci Code, but saw the movie. I read Angels and Demons overnight, but haven't seen the movie yet. I LOVED Angels/Demons because of all the "peripheral" elements of the book. Besides the story line, I was plunged into a "world" that I really hadn't thought much about.
    Same thing with the Lost Symbol. Admittedly, it was somewhat predictable, the characters reminded me of Angels with the obvious parallels...church/masons...crazy people in both... and it did drag on quite a bit. However, what fascinated me was all the reference to human potential, Noetic Science, etc. Bringing in all the elements described re: Washington, D.C., etc. Thought it was very cool overall. Certainly, not a masterpiece, but provocative. Sometimes, a book can be very good, for very different reasons than just plot and character.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!