Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Heart of Evil by Heather Graham

Title: Heart of Evil


Author: Heather Graham


Published: Mira, 28th June 2011


Pages: 400


Series: Book 2, Krewe of Hunters


First Line: "Blood."


Summary: Emerging from the bayou like an apparition, Donegal Plantation is known for its unsurpassed dining, captivating atmosphere, haunting legends…and now a corpse swinging from the marble angel that marks its cemetery’s most majestic vault. A corpse discovered in nearly the same situation as that of Marshall Donegal, the patriarch killed in a skirmish just before the Civil War. Desperate for help traditional criminologists could never provide, plantation heiress Ashley Donegal turns to an elite team of paranormal investigators who blend hard forensics with rare – often inexplicable – intuition. Among them is Jake Mallory, a gifted New Orleans musician with talent that stretches beyond the realm of the physical, and a few dark ghosts of his own. The evil the team unveils has the power to shake the plantation to its very core. Jake and Ashley are forced to risk everything to unravel secrets that will not stay buried – even in death… (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: Heart of Evil is the second book in the Krewe of Hunters series and it is quite different to the first one.  Heart of Evil contains the same characters but this time it focuses on Jake.  While, I think that you don’t have to read the first one in order to understand this one I would definitely recommend reading the first book, Phantom Evil before this one; especially if you want to know more about the characters backgrounds and things like that.


Heart of Evil is so good.  It is a murder mystery, with paranormal elements and it is so suspenseful.  In my mind these three things make a fantastic read.  The suspense was in all the right places too.  I’d read on because I just had to know what was going to happen next and then just as I had started to lose my sense of suspense another event would happen that left me wanting to read on.

The chemistry between Jake and Ashley was quite intense.  Their relationship was an interesting one and I don’t think I’ve ever really read about it in books before.  In this one, they had already known each other, so the chemistry was already there.  It just made the book flow all that more smoothly.

I was actually a little bored at the start because it took quite a while to get into the story and the character set up and history was quite long but once it got past that part everything was just all go.  I also felt the ending was a little rushed through but at the same time I guess you couldn’t really do too much more with it.  It was still satisfactory.

The mystery element was really awesome.  It kept me guessing until the very end because clues appeared and so I would think I knew who the killer was for certain, but then something else would happen and I would have to form another conclusion.  I was wrong about who the killer was but it was still fun to read through and guess until the very end.

Heart of Evil is a great addition to the Krewe of Hunters series and I for one cannot wait to read the next book in the series.  If you like paranormal, mystery romances then I think you’ll enjoy this book and series.

Source: NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!