Friday, June 10, 2011

Genesis by Lara Morgan

Title: Genesis


Author: Lara Morgan


Published: Walker Books Australia, 2010


Pages: 464


Series: Book 1, The Rosie Black Chronicles


First Line: "Rosie shone her torch down among the scattered bricks."


Summary: Five hundred years into the future, the world is a different place. The Melt has sunk most of the coastal cities and Newperth is divided into the haves, the “Centrals”; the have-nots, the “Bankers”; and the fringe dwellers, the “Ferals”. 

Rosie Black is a Banker. When Rosie finds an unusual box, she has no idea of the grave consequences of her discovery. A mysterious organisation wants it – and will kill to get it. 

Forced to rely on two strangers, Rosie is on the run. But who can she trust? Pip, the too attractive Feral, or the secretive man he calls boss? 

From Earth to Mars, Rosie must learn the secrets of the box – before it’s too late. (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  Genesis is quite an interesting book.  It definitely wasn’t what I had expected in reading it but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.


I thought that Genesis would be a mystery with a dystopian/post-apocalyptic twist.  I had thought that there would be a lot of world building and explanations for what had happened over the 500 years between now and then.  You’re actually not given that much information on it.  In reading the description I thought that quite a main part of the plot would be that water is scarce but it actually wasn’t.

Genesis is actually more of a getting into the action with a little bit of character building sort of book.  You get little bits of clues about the world and you’re told about some of the things but there isn’t a lot of background into the world and its aspects.  It doesn’t detract from the story any either.

Rosie is a pretty kick-ass character and I loved that she was tough and didn’t let people push her around or stop her from doing whatever it takes to rescue her family.  I also liked Essie.  I have to say that Lara Morgan does an awesome job at writing strong, independent female characters.  Not to say that there weren’t some great male characters too; because there were.  Pip was one such character, he was quite mysterious and I wondered about him quite a lot.  I also liked Riley.  I loved how both Pip and Riley were characters that you aren’t sure about for quite a lot of the book.

On a completely different note, I’m not sure if it was just my copy of the book or the edition of the book I had but I kept getting distracted from reading the book because it smelt so good!  Maybe I’m just a little odd but the paper smelt amazing.

I’m really interested in reading the next book in the series because I want more Rosie, more Essie, more Riley, more Pip and more of their world.  So I will definitely be on the lookout for Equinox which I believe may be out later this year.  Not too sure though.  Fingers crossed I’m right though.

Needless to say, Genesis is a really interesting book.  If you’re a fan of dystopian sorts of novels then I think this one might be right up your alley.  Not to mention that Lara Morgan is an Australian author so it adds a little bit of something different.  So definitely check it out!

1 comment:

  1. love the cover and cute how it is a nice smelling book ;-D sounds like a good one to add to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!