Sunday, May 15, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent


Author: Veronica Roth


Published: Katherine Tegen Books, 3 May 2011


Pages: 495


Series: Book 1, Divergent


First Line: "There is one mirror in my house."


Summary: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  Signs this book is amazing: 
• I sat down to read a chapter just quickly and ended up sitting down for hours. 
• I was called for dinner but was so immersed in my reading I forgot to get up to get my dinner. 
• I stayed up late two nights in a row because I couldn’t put it down. 
• Once I had put it down I couldn’t stop thinking about it. 

In a nutshell, Divergent is so good. I absolutely loved it. I started reading it and couldn’t put it down. The story just kept flowing on and on and I just didn’t want to tear myself away from it. Divergent is almost 500 pages long yet it seemed much smaller. 

The characters were so memorable. There were the good and the bad, and then there were characters that completely surprised me. As a main character I loved Tris, she wasn’t perfect and she didn’t have the “oh woe is me” attitude that a lot of characters seem to have when bad things happen to them. Nope, Tris was awesome, she’s the kind of girl that I’d like to be friends with. Then of course, there was Four. How could I forget Four? I couldn’t, he is just so awesome. It’s hard to describe Four without giving too much away but I loved him and thought he was a wonderful character in Divergent. 

I’m not a fan of in your face romance and I have to say that Divergent’s ‘romance’ was really good and didn’t annoy me at all. For starters, there is absolutely no love triangle and there is no instant love. I won’t say what it was like because it would give away too much but it was a lot more realistic than the majority of romances in books. 

It’s not very often that I get to read a book that keeps me up all night after I’ve finished it because I can’t stop thinking about it. Divergent just happened to be one of those books. Divergent offered up so much to think about. For starters, I had a lot of fun thinking about what faction I’d choose if I was in the Divergent world. I also had questions about some of the characters and I’m really curious to find out what is going to happen in the next book. 

Divergent is one of the best books I have read this year and I would definitely recommend it. I’m not the biggest fan of dystopian fiction but I would say that this one is good for those who don’t really like dystopian fiction. Divergent is utterly amazing and I would definitely recommend reading it. 

Source: HarperCollins NZ for review

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fantastic review! I am glad you thought the book was so good. I will hopefully be getting it from the library next week and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can already tell that this is going to be one of those books that DEFINITELY lives up to all of its hype. I have heard awesome, spectacular things about this book! I will need to pick a time where I have a few days with nothing going on because if I am anything like you, I will be up ALL night long reading it too. Loved the review!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!