Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Die for Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die for Me


Author: Amy Plum


Published: HarperTeen, 10 May 2011


Pages: 341


First Line: "The first time I had seen the statue in the fountain, I had no idea what Vincent was."


Summary: My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love? (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I was really nervous about reading Die for Me by Amy Plum. Mostly because I thought it might’ve been a really clichéd story line with a cliché love interest etc. It actually wasn’t.

Amy Plum’s writing is fantastic, the flow of the book was nice and smooth and I really enjoyed reading through Die for Me.

I have to say that when I started I thought Die for Me was quite a dramatic title. Now that I’ve read the book I know a bit more about what it means and can say that it is actually quite a fitting title.

Katie is a fantastic main character, she has her head screwed on and she can definitely think for herself. I found myself really able to relate to her which was great. She was in no way perfect and that made her all the more interesting and believable. Not to mention, the fantastic supporting cast. Both Katie and Vincent’s families were great and I just loved all of them as they all had their different characteristics and their own unique place in the book. I can’t wait to find out more about them.

The book captured me and I just had to finish reading it as soon as I could. I remember there was one moment where something happened that upset the main character, Kate, I have to say that as I was reading it I could feel my own stomach twisting up in knots too. There were also parts that had me grinning like a fool. I just really felt like I could get into this book and I actually enjoyed it too.

The paranormal part of the book was both similar but also different. This isn’t really a spoiler but if you’re a bit iffy about spoilers you might want to skip this paragraph but the fact that Vincent was an immortal made me roll my eyes a little, however, the way his immortality works is completely different to any other book I have ever read and I actually really enjoyed that part and I am curious to read more about it.

Now, I am not a huge fan of romance in books however, the romance element in this book was quite sweet. It was there and it was nice. It wasn’t that whole, hot guy meets plain girl and they fall instantly in love. It was hot guy thinks girl is cute, hot guy talks to girl, girl talks to boy, they get to know each other and don’t make insanely large promises to be together forever. In other words, the romance element had me smiling and enjoying it rather than cringing and being angry with how lame it was.

Set in Paris, was a hugely refreshing thing. I felt like it was a great change of scenery from a lot of the other books I read. I just really loved that the book was set in Paris. It kind of added to the romantic flavour of some parts of the book.

Overall, would I say that Die for Me is a good read? Well if you hadn’t already noticed from my extremely long and adoring review; yep, I sure would say it’s a good read. It wasn’t perfect, but the romance is really cute, the paranormal element is similar but also different in certain aspects, the writing is crisp and lovely and the cover is really pretty. If you’re a fan of paranormal romance then by all means add this one to your list. I know that I cannot wait for the next book.

Source: InkPop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!