Friday, April 15, 2011

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

Title: The Power of One


Author: Bryce Courtenay


Published: Penguin Books Australia, 1998


Pages: 640


Summary: No stranger to the injustice of racial hatred, five-year-old Peekay learns the hard way the first secret of survival and self-preservation - the power of one. An encounter with amateur boxer Hoppie Groenewald inspires in Peekay a fiery ambition - to be welterweight champion of the world.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: The Power of One was a learning experience for me.  I learnt about some of South Africa’s history and I learnt a little about boxing too.


That being said, I really enjoyed the first part of The Power of One.  It as different to books I usually read and it set the story up quite nicely.  I did find some of the dialogue went on a little bit but that’s kind of expected in a book over 600 pages long.

By the third part of the book I wasn’t really sure where the book was heading.  I had no idea how much of Peekay’s life would be explained and I felt as I was heading toward the end of the book that what I expected would be a good ending was too far away to be achievable.

When the ending arrived however, I was hit with a huge surprise and I just really loved it.  To me, it seemed like the ending made me appreciate the book all the more than I had as I was going through it.

The Power of One, has such a unique cast of characters and I loved how everyone that Peekay met affected him in one way or another.  Almost all of the good characters he came across I really loved and I found myself having a soft spot for Peekay and also Doc.

The Power of One is so good and I am glad that I got the chance to read it.  I think that the Power of One is one of those books that everyone should read at least once because it is really good.

Source: Own Book

2 comments:

  1. Do you know whether or not the author, Courtenay, is a boxer?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!