Saturday, April 23, 2011

Berserk by Ally Kennen

Title: Berserk


Author: Ally Kennen


Published: Marion Lloyd Books, 2007


Pages: 320


Summary: You'd have to be crazy to make friends with a murderer. When 15-year-old Chas finds a website asking people to write to prisoners on Death Row, he decides it would be funny to get letters from a murderer. He writes to an inmate, pretending to be his mum, but the chilling replies are not at all what he expects. Chas' own wild escapades eventually land him in a young offender's institute, where he learns that his scary penpal has been released. And is heading for England to find him...  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: Berserk had a really intriguing premise which is what drew me to the book in the first place.  I have to say that the summary I read of it doesn’t really give the best idea of what the book is about because I had an idea about what the book would be about but it was completely different.


I still enjoyed it though.  The ex convict actually made me think of Hannibal Lector, i.e Anthony Hopkins, and so every time Lenny Darling was mentioned or in it all I could think of was Hannibal Lector.  Even though Lenny wasn’t a cannibal or anything like that.

Oftentimes there were events that didn’t seem to be a part of the main story but then they prove to be useful later on in the book which was really cool.  I did think that some of the events happened to be a little too convenient but that was what made it interesting to be honest.

Berserk was really interesting.  I thought it would be a thriller of sorts but it was more of a contemporary novel with a little bit of action at the end.

The character interactions were all really interesting and they weren’t perfect which is what made their behaviour and interactions all the more believable.

I didn’t think the ending was the best but I did enjoy Berserk enough to say that it is well worth a read if you’re looking for something light that is set in England.

Source: Library

1 comment:

  1. I loved the character Devil! He was my favourite. I didn't really like the ending much, although I really enjoyed the whole book.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!