Thursday, March 24, 2011

Reading more Adult Fiction: James Patterson

I had the idea for this post for a while and then as I was writing it I realised that I actually have a lot more to say about the topic than I thought so I am going to make it a sort of series of posts with one a week.  So if you're interested, read on, if not, come back tomorrow for some more reviews.

There are times when I find young adult books to be a bit boring and I want to find some more adult fiction books to read.  So these posts are about my experiences with that and each week will have a themed post.  This weeks theme is James Patterson.


The reason I decided to start reading James Patterson's adult novels was because I had really enjoyed the first couple of Maximum Ride books and reading the back of one of them told me he had very loosely based these books on two books called When the Wind Blows and The Lake House.  I read The Lake House and I thought it was alright but it did have some sex scenes which, when I read this book, I was very very uncomfortable about reading.  I still am a little uncomfortable about reading those scenes but I can handle them sometimes.

Anyway, I figured The Lake House was decent enough and that idea as well as my love of mysteries made me move on to the first book in the Alex Cross series by James Patterson - Along Came a Spider.


I enjoyed the mystery part of Along Came a Spider, I felt the court case dragged out a little too long and then the twist ending was very awesome and not something I expected at all.  There was one thing that annoyed me about Along Came a Spider that made me not feel like reading any more books in the series and that was one issue the main character had that he bought up all the time even when it wasn't relevant to anything.  In doing research on Goodreads for this post however, I have learned that this is only an issue in this book so I may carry on with that series.

After reading Along Came a Spider I had a read of 1st to Die by James Patterson and to be honest it wasn't really my type of book just because the ending kept changing.  I did write a post on that book so if you want to read my opinion you can find it here.

So, journeying into James Patterson's adult novels I didn't feel an instant love and it didn't make me want to read too many more although, I did plan to continue both the Alex Cross and Women's Murder Club series books, I haven't yet and we'll see whether I actually do or not.  James Patterson's novels did not whet my appetite for a great adult fiction read, this however, does not stop me from continuing on my journey to find some good adult fiction to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!