Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Title: The Looking Glass Wars


Author: Frank Beddor


Published: Dial, 2006


Pages: 384


Series: Book 1, The Looking Glass Wars


First Line: "Everyone thought she had made it up, and she had tolerated more taunting and teasing from other children, more lectures and punishments from grown-ups than any eleven-year-old should have to bear."


Summary: Alyss Heart can't stand that "master of fantasy" bunk; she knows that Lewis Carroll was nothing more than an incompetent reporter. After she generously shared her Wonderland experiences with this fledgling author, he totally botched the retelling, even mangling her name. Alyss, however, refuses to merely grouse; she and royal bodyguard Hatter Madigan decide to make another emergency excursion down the rabbit hole, opening our eyes to parallel realms that prim Rev. Dodgson never imagined. 


Review: I bought The Looking Glass Wars years ago because I thought it looked really interesting but then it took me years to get around to reading it.  I thought that the first part of The Looking Glass Wars was quite boring so it took me a while to get through that one.  Then the second part wasn’t too bad.  The third part was by far the most interesting part of this book.


I thought The Looking Glass Wars was a really unique story and I think if you’re a fan of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland you might want to read this one just to see how Frank Beddor puts a little spin on the story and just makes an interesting read.

The characters were all quite interesting.  I didn’t really feel much of a connection with Alyss.  It didn’t feel like I was reading a book that was all about her, there was just something in how The Looking Glass Wars was written that made it feel like Alyss was more of a background character than one of the main characters.

I thought that The Looking Glass Wars was quite interesting, I enjoyed it and I think that I will carry on and read the other two books in the series.  There are a couple of things that I’d like to know what happens with.  If you’re a fan of Alice in Wonderland or looking for something a little different in the fantasy genre I think you’ll enjoy The Looking Glass Wars.

Source: Own Book

2 comments:

  1. Love this book. Second year I'm reading it with my student book club!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!