Friday, March 25, 2011

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Title: How I Live Now


Author: Meg Rosoff


Published: Wendy Lamb Books, 2004


Pages: 194


Summary: Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she’s never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on business soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs go off as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy.

As power fails, and systems fail, the farm becomes more isolated. Despite the war, it’s a kind of Eden, with no adults in charge and no rules, a place where Daisy’s uncanny bond with her cousins grows into something rare and extraordinary. But the war is everywhere, and Daisy and her cousins must lead each other into a world that is unknown in the scariest, most elemental way.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts:  How I Live Now was very different to what I thought it would be.  I’m not sure what I expected it to be but I didn’t expect what it turned out to be.


Daisy was an interesting character and provided a good voice as the main character.  Some of her choices were a little weird but it all seemed to come together in the end.

I found the relationship between Daisy and Edmond to be really odd, mostly because they’re cousins so I was a little surprised by it but it made the whole book what it was so I got past the initial shock of it quite quickly.

As I was reading How I Live Now I couldn’t help but think it reminded me a little of Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer only in this instance it is war that changes the world.  I quite enjoyed How I Live Now and I think that fans of dystopian fiction will enjoy this book because it felt like a dystopian sort of book to me.

Source: Library

1 comment:

  1. It's funny that you should mention it reminding you of the Life As We Knew It trilogy, because that's precisely what i was thinking up to that point. This sounds like something I might like, though, so thanks for the review!
    Just goes to show, though, that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover/title; with a name like that and the vague, flowery cover art, I thought this was one of those contemporary life-after-some-horrible-personal-tragedy stories, you know?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!