Monday, March 7, 2011

The Green Bronze Mirror by Lynne Ellison

Title: The Green Bronze Mirror


Author: Lynne Ellison


Published: CnPosner Books, 2009


First Line: "The sea rolled majestically onto the broad, flat sands, and the breeze blew a sharp salty tang into Karen's face."


Summary: Karen is playing on the beach when she finds an ancient mirror buried in the sand. She looks into it, and is transported back in time to the Roman empire. Finding herself a slave, she faces many hair-raising adventures in her struggle to return to her own time.


Review: After reading through the first two chapters of The Green Bronze Mirror I was ready to give up.  I persevered though as The Green Bronze Mirror is quite a small book.


The main reason that I wanted to give up reading was that for a finished copy of a book this was riddled with errors.  I got so annoyed with how many errors there were in this book that I checked the publisher’s website and found out that they have since reprinted the book with fewer errors.  This is really good because it means others don’t have to suffer through them.

The story itself was quite interesting.  I think that it’s good if you’re interested in getting an introduction to what life was like in the time of Emperor Nero.  It actually explained a little of the history as the novel progressed so that was really good.

Some of the content made me think that this book is probably better for people around 14 and older.  Just because some of the things are slightly more mature.

I thought that the concept of the story was great but the execution was average.  I found it hard to believe that the main character Karen, was 15 and I found it even harder to believe that another character was 18.  Also, the main characters behaviour was slightly unbelievable as she just brushed off the fact that she’d travelled in time through a mirror, as though it was one of the most ordinary things around.

I think that The Green Bronze Mirror is good if you’re interested in learning a little bit about history and ancient Rome in the time of Emperor Nero.  Other than that, I’d give this one a skip if that’s not your kind of book.

1 comment:

Comments are always awesome!