Saturday, March 26, 2011

Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Title: Behemoth


Author: Scott Westerfeld


Published: Simon Pulse, 2010


Pages: 485


First Line: "Alek raised his sword."


Summary: The behemoth is the fiercest creature in the British navy. It can swallow enemy battleships with one bite. The Darwinists will need it, now that they are at war with the Clanker powers.
Deryn is a girl posing as a boy in the British Air Service, and Alek is the heir to an empire posing as a commoner. Finally together aboard the airship Leviathan, they hope to bring the war to a halt. But when disaster strikes the Leviathan's peacekeeping mission, they find themselves alone and hunted in enemy territory.
Alek and Deryn will need great skill, new allies, and brave hearts to face what's ahead.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Behemoth is the second book in the Leviathan series and it is just as good as the first one, Leviathan.  It starts off right where Leviathan ends and caught my interest from the very first page.

The story line is amazing and all of the contraptions of the Clankers and all of the creatures of the Darwinists are so amazing and so imaginative.  They bring the whole story to life and make it into something fantastic.

I’m not usually one to read steampunk novels but I love Scott Westerfeld so I gave this one a go.  I’m really glad I did because Behemoth was not a steampunk novel but a great story.

One thing that really adds to the book is the illustrations by Keith Thompson.  They add a whole other layer to the book and make the machines and creatures come to life that much more.

Both Deryn and Alek are great protagonists and I love reading about their adventures.

Behemoth is a great sequel to Leviathan and I would definitely recommend this series to anyone who is a fan of steampunk novels and also Scott Westerfeld’s novels.  Behmoth is really awesome and I look forward to the next book in the trilogy Goliath.

Source: Library

1 comment:

  1. Ah! So curious!! I must try and read the first book. They sound great. I'm glad you like the series so far. Maybe I should wait until the last one comes out before getting all of them. I'm so weird like that. I get all crazy if I have to wait for the next book in a series to be released.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!