Thursday, February 3, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Title: Across the Universe


Author: Beth Revis


Published: Razorbill, 2011


Pages: 398


First Line: "Daddy said 'Let Mom go first.'"


Summary: Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming. (Taken from Goodreads)

Review: Being a fan of the occasional science fiction novel and always being a fan of mysteries I thought I had better give Across the Universe a read.  I have to say that when I started reading it I thought it was kind of boring and I wasn’t enjoying it.  However, I honestly think that Across the Universe is a book you have to read until the very end before you can accurately form an opinion of it.

After I got to the last twenty or so chapters, everything started falling into place and I found that I actually really enjoyed Across the Universe.  I would say that it is definitely one of the best books I have read so far this year.

One thing I didn’t enjoy about Across the Universe was that there is a mention of sex and there’s quite a lot of it in one section, and if you’re not bothered by it then you won’t mind but I’m not really a fan of those kinds of scenes.

When reading mysteries I always love guessing at whodunit while I’m reading and there were quite a few candidates on my list in Across the Universe but ultimately my suspicions were confirmed and that was exciting.  I loved the revelation of everything and how things just wrapped up quite nicely in the end.  There were a couple of surprises there which I thought were quite well done.

I liked both Amy and Elder’s voices and I liked how the book was split between both of their perspectives.  I also had a soft spot for Harley; he was probably my favourite character to be honest.

With all of this I was really curious as to how the book would end and there was quite a twist at the end that I didn’t even see coming.  I was quite blown away but it made a lot of sense when it came into light.  I also wonder if there will be a sequel but at the same time this book works as a stand -alone as well.  I can form my own opinions about what happened to everyone and that’s just fine with me.

Lately I haven’t really been in a fan for any romance novels and I was really happy with the level of romance that was in Across the Universe.  There was hardly any but then when it was there it was just cute.  It was enough to tide fans of romance over.

The science fiction element of Across the Universe wasn’t overly heavy and it was really believable.  In my mind Beth Revis had made it extremely believable and she just seemed to make it really well thought out without overdoing all the talk about technical specifics.  I like science fiction but I don’t like overly complicated science fiction and this was not overly complicated.  Another issue I tend to have with science fiction novels is how the author deals with the aspect of timelines and setting the books in specific years.  I thought Beth Revis handled this excellently.  There was no set year and so it was really believable and straightforward so timeline was definitely not an issue.

What started out as a book that I wasn’t really enjoying turned out to be quite a good book. As you can tell from my review I have turned into a raving fan of Across the Universe.  I’m really surprised at that and am really glad that I decided to read it in the end.  Even if science fiction novels aren’t really your type of book, I strongly encourage you to check out Across the Universe by Beth Revis because it is an amazing book and the only way to find that out is to read it yourself.

Source: Library

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, thoughtful review :) I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I liked it, as well. I believe that it's going to be part of a projected trilogy, if I'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I like it. I'm a tad skeptical just because I've been seeing a lot of mixed reviews. Still, yesterday when I went to the library I picked this one up. *crosses fingers* Hope it's good!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Asher K. (Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this book made a great stand-alone as well, but it is supposed to be the first in a trilogy. Which makes me nervous, because the ending was great and I don't want the story to get "messed up". :)

    Jennifer (An Abundance of Books)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!