Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bloody Jack : Being an Account of the Curious Adventure’s of Mary “Jacky” Faber, Ship’s Boy by L.A. Meyer

Title: Bloody Jack : Being an Account of the Curious Adventure’s of Mary “Jacky” Faber, Ship’s Boy


AuthorL.A Meyer


Published: Harcourt Paperbacks, 2004


Pages: 320


First Line: "My name is Jacky Faber and in London I was born, but nah I wasn't born with that name."


Summary: Life as a ship's boy aboard HMS Dolphin is a dream come true for Jacky Faber. Gone are the days of scavenging for food and fighting for survival on the streets of eighteenth-century London. Instead, Jacky is becoming a skilled and respected sailor as the crew pursues pirates on the high seas.
There's only one problem: Jacky is a girl. And she will have to use every bit of her spirit, wit, and courage to keep the crew from discovering her secret. This could be the adventure of her life--if only she doesn't get caught. . . .

Review: Bloody Jack reminded me a little of Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce, only instead of a knight, Jacky was a sailor.

I really enjoyed Bloody Jack, it wasn’t perfect but it was incredibly exciting.  I always find stories about girls who dress as boys to do something they love to be really interesting because they’re a rare find for me so it’s always good to read one when I find one.

I thought that Jacky was pretty cool and very tough.  Even if she herself didn’t think so.  I liked Charlie and Jaimy too.  I’m hoping that in the rest of the series there will be more from Jaimy.  Finger’s crossed there is.
Bloody Jack was sprinkled with humour and also some very serious moments.  I really enjoyed that.

There’s not a lot else to say about Bloody Jack.  It’s just a really awesome book.  If you like pirates and strong female characters then I think you’d enjoy Bloody Jack.

Source: Library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!