Monday, December 20, 2010

Wake by Lisa McMann

Title: Wake


Author: Lisa McMann


Published: Simon Pulse, 2008


Pages: 210


Series: Book 1, Dream Catcher


Summary: For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people’s dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie’s seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can’t tell anybody about what she does they’d never believe her, or worse, they’d think she’s a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn’t want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else’s twisted psyche. She is a participant… (Taken from Goodreads)

Review: Scarlett: The premise to Wake by Lisa McMann sounded amazing.  From time to time I’ll read a suspense thriller and so I was pretty glad when Wake got chosen as our book of the month selection as it was something different.  I’ve been reading a lot of dystopian books lately so this was a welcome change.

Rebecca: I actually thought that Wake was going to be spookier than it was.  I think that’s just how I read the premise to be.  I wasn’t disappointed but it made Wake into something different from what I had expected.
I really liked the flashes into other people’s dreams; it was kind of fascinating just how much different people dreamt about different things.  I just thought that it was really great.  Although, some of the dreams I wasn’t so keen on, but really, I don’t think anybody would want to bear witness to people’s private dreams because they are people’s innermost thoughts, feelings, memories and desires.

I did like the idea of the dreams.  But I also didn’t fully understand the whole lucid dreaming thing.  I’m not really a believer of that sort of thing.  I just find it hard to imagine people being able to control and change their dreams.

I found that part extra interesting because I can change my dreams and control them somewhat and just the idea of dreaming always fascinates me.  I think that’s the main reason I wanted to read Wake actually, just for the dreaming part.

I like to look into character development when I read books and I thought that Cabel for the most part seemed like a really interesting guy and there was just something about him that had me fascinated by him and I just wanted to know him more.  As for Carrie, I wasn’t such a fan, but I felt really bad for Janie.  But Cabel was my favourite character that’s for sure!

I didn’t really connect on a personal level with any of the characters.  But one thing I did notice about Wake, was Lisa McMann’s writing style.  It wasn’t the same as most other authors because it was the sentences were all really short and it just made the book really easy to read.

I noticed that too!  But instead of it making it easier for me to read, I found it kind of hard to read because the sentences were really short and choppy.
Wake is definitely worth a read though; it’s so unique and great.  If you haven’t read it yet then go for it.  I’m looking forward to the next book in the series too.

2 comments:

  1. Nice comparison. I loved Wake and finished the trilogy this year. Wake is my favourite, I recommend reading Fade immediately, it wraps so much up for you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!