Friday, December 17, 2010

Torment by Lauren Kate

Title: Torment


Author: Lauren Kate


Published: Delacorte, 2010


Pages: 452


Series: Book 2, Fallen


First Line: "Daniel stared out at the bay."


Summary: May contain spoilers! Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. 

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?  (Taken from Goodreads)

Review: I started reading Torment and hated it, it was so boring, everything the angels did drove me crazy and so I put it down and seriously considered not reading it at all.  So I sat it down and for a week it tormented me.  I did my best to avoid reading it.  Then I decided that I had better finish it so I sat myself down and forced myself to read it.

I’m glad I did.  After I got about a third of the way in, Torment picked up and was actually really good.  There were a few things that still drove me crazy but for the most part I was really intrigued.
I was excited to see some new characters such as Miles, and by the end I admit I had a soft spot for Shelby.  Steven was interesting too.

Daniel annoyed me though.  I am starting to think that I am on the side of the demons.  For now anyway, only because they’re all more charismatic and they seem more open.

The ending was brilliant.  I cannot wait to read the next book, Passion, which doesn’t come out until next year.

You may find Torment to be slow at first like I did, but if you persevere I think you might enjoy Torment.

Source: Library

2 comments:

  1. I think I had the same problem with Fallen too...
    I haven't read the book yet although I have picked it up!!
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, on the side of the demons. :) EVIL. lol. I liked the first book, soI am looking forward to this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!