Friday, November 19, 2010

Jack of Shadows by Roger Zelazny

Title: Jack of Shadows


Author: Roger Zelazny


Published: Corgi Books, 1974


Pages: 160


First Line: "It happened when Jack, whose name is spoken in shadow went to Igles, in the Twilight lands, to visit the Hellgames."


Summary: He awoke - if it could be called waking - in the Dung Pits of Glyve. He was naked, on a mound of offal in the middle of a vile, polluted lake, and when he recalled how he came to be there he swore vengeance on his enemies... 
Through a world half of light, half of darkness, he carried his vendetta, through realms peopled by monsters, witches, vampires, until finally he came to a place where he could destroy his arch-enemy - the Lord of the Bats... (Taken from Goodreads)

Review: It took me a really really long time to read this book even though it’s such a tiny book.  That isn’t to say that I didn’t enjoy reading it because I did.  When I started reading this book I was looking for a book that would be different to what I would normally read.  Jack of Shadows was pretty different and I found it to be enjoyable for the most part.
There were some parts of the book that I wasn’t too fond of because I thought what they described were a bit too inappropriate and I didn’t see how adding them in incorporated into the overall plot.
I liked Jack as a character.  He was very interesting and there was just something about him that intrigued me a lot and made me really like him.
Being written in the 70’s Jack of Shadows uses different language for a lot of the book.  Which made it quite enjoyable for something a little different.
I think that Jack of Shadows is better read in one or two sittings than stretched out over a long period of time.
If you’re looking for something different and you don’t mind something a bit older, then I think you’d enjoy Jack of Shadows.  It’s a really awesome fantasy and the ending is quite a good one.


Source: Borrowed

1 comment:

  1. Read it back in 70's as a teen while in SF book club. Was an instant favorite of mine. Wondered back then how it could be made into a movie with Cat Stevens Wild World song in background, but I didn't think movie special effects at the time could do it justice. I find it interesting fantasy movies are so popular now. I went to see Snow White and Huntsman, thinking all the while, yes JOS could be made with these effects. The screenwriting might be a challenge because it is a short story with a lot packed in small space.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!