Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce

Title: Bloodhound


Author: Tamora Pierce


Published: New York : Random House, c2009


Pages: 551


Series: Book 2, Beka Cooper


Snippet:"Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."


Summary: Having been promoted from "Puppy" to "Dog," Beka, now a full-fledged member of the Provost's Guard, and her former partner head to a neighboring port city to investigate a case of counterfeit coins. (Taken from Christchurch City Libraries Website)


Review: It has been a while since I've read a Tamora Pierce book and when I got hold of Bloodhound I was pretty excited because I do love Tamora Pierce.  Compared to all the other books by Tamora Pierce I've read I would say Bloodhound was good but it wasn't one of the best. By itself, I would have to say that it delivered on being awesome.


I really liked Bloodhound. Mostly because it was a bit of a mystery with the counterfeit coins.  I did think it didn't have as much of a fantasy atmosphere as I usually like but it was still enjoyable.


Characterwise I think Beka is pretty kick-ass. Same with Goodwin, I love female characters who are strong and independent and the two of them together just make one really great team.  One character I didn't particularly like was Dale.  I had my own reasons for not liking him which if I said anything would spoil part of the story.


Overall, Bloodhound was a good book, it was a little long though. I think it could've been cut back a little but I still enjoyed it.  I definitely look forward to the next book in the trilogy, Mastiff, which will be out next year. If you're a fan of Tamora Pierce and fantasy novels, I think you'll enjoy Bloodhound and the first book Terrier.


Source: Library

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommend this book to anyone age 10 to 100. It is an absorbing story that blends adventure, detective work, and fantasy. If you are like me, and don't usually like 1st person narratives, give this series a try - it might change your mind.

    Penelope
    Click here for Lodge Southeast Alaska

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!