Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Title: Tyger Tyger


Author: Kersten Hamilton


Published: Clarion Books, November 2010


Pages: 322


Series: Book 1, The Goblin Wars


Snippet: '"Of course she's frightening" Mrs Wylltson said. "She's Ginny Greenteeth. She drowns travellers in bogs."


Summary: Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems. 

Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming. 
(Taken from Goodreads)



Review: If you're a fan of mythology of any kind then I say you will most definitely enjoy this book.  If you like Celtic mythology then you'll definitely love this book because Tyger Tyger is indeed based on Celtic Mythology.


I really loved Tyger Tyger, it was refreshing and something different.  It's a fantasy novel which is one of my favourite genres.


The characters were all really interesting.  I was definitely a fan of Finn.  Aiden was pretty cool too.  Well a lot of the characters are pretty cool.


The story line itself is really interesting.  I found that as I was reading Tyger Tyger I wanted to know more and more about it.  I would say I would read for about ten minutes and would end up reading for an hour.  The whole mythology part seemed really well thought about and it was just incredibly done.


Tyger Tyger is also a sad book.  I wasn't expecting a certain part but when it happened I was surprised.  It shocked me and it definitely grabbed me emotionally.


There were a couple of little details that I didn't think  would be suitable for a younger person but apart from that I have absolutely no complaints about Tyger Tyger.


Tyger Tyger is set for release in November so if you think you might like to read this book make a note of it now and read it then because it really is good! I know that I definitely cannot wait to read the next book in the Goblin Wars series!


Source: NetGalley

4 comments:

  1. I requested this from Netgalley, too, but haven't got around to reading it yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful review, Rebecca! I'm glad you liked Tyger Tyger. The Celtic mythology really, really, grabs me, too. It could be because it is my own heritage, but it's almost haunting.

    :) Kersten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I agree about the mythology being well done. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I enjoyed this one as well- I ended up reading it in a few short days as well :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!