Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Title: The Graveyard Book


Author: Neil Gaiman


Published: London : Bloomsbury, 2008


Pages: 312


Snippet: "You are obvious boy. You are difficult to miss.  If you came to me in company with a purple lion, a green elephant and a scarlet unicorn astride which was the King of England in his royal robes, I do believe that people would stare at you, dismissing the others as minor irrelevancies."


Summary: When a baby escapes a murderer intent on killing the entire family, who would have thought it would find safety and security in the local graveyard? Brought up by the resident ghosts, ghouls and spectres, Bod has an eccentric childhood learning about life from the dead. (Taken from Christchurch City Libraries)


Review: This is the third book by Neil Gaiman that I have read and I have to say that I really enjoyed it.  The Graveyard Book is split into 8 short stories that all relate to Bod at different times in his life and they all tie together which made it something different to read.


I got a lot of laughs out of The Graveyard Book which was a nice surprise.  I found myself laughing out loud at so many different parts of the book.


Character-wise I have to say that they were all really interesting.  I like Bod, he was different to others characters so it made it more interesting.   I liked Silas too, he was so mysterious.  After I finished the book I read a bit about what Silas is supposed to be and I have to say I really didn't pick up on that one.


The stories are all really enthralling and it doesn't really take long to read through each chapter because they're truly fascinating.


I have to say though, that this book is probably best suited for 10-12 year olds but at the same time it's still a really enjoyable read.


If you like ghost stories, or books similar to The Jungle Book, then I think you'll like The Graveyard Book.


Source: Borrowed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!