Monday, November 9, 2009

Tricks by Ellen Hopkins

Title: Tricks

Author: Ellen Hopkins

Published: New York : Margaret K. McElderry Books, c2009

Pages: 627

Summary: Five troubled teenagers fall into prostitution as they search for freedom, safety, community, family, and love.

Review: When I first got this I basically just looked at it and was like "Oh Ellen Hopkins she's supposed to be a really good author" and so I had no idea what the book was about or anything. All I knew was that it was written by Ellen Hopkins.

Then I started to read it and I was kind of shocked by the content of it. So I went and read the summary. That surprised me and so it left me wondering whether or not I should actually continue to read this book. I mean I didn't think I wanted to read a book with this kind of content. And then I thought to myself "I'm being stupid. This is the kind of reaction that causes people to want to ban these books." So I sat myself down and I read this book.

And I am so glad that I did.

Tricks scared me. This is the kind of book that is definitely not for the faint-hearted. And it made me really angry and really sad. I just wanted to go and get everyone and stop them from the terrible lives that they were living.

I really enjoyed this book. Because while it scared me it made me appreciate what I have even more. It also goes to show that anything can happen and no matter how your life is, you may still end up in a bad situation.

One thing I was slightly nervous about was that this book is in verse. But it was actually really good. I didn't really notice it was in verse.

The ending was actually a good ending. I really did like it.

I also liked how there were connections and each one was so tiny but it worked.

Overall, Tricks is one of those books that has some quite heavy content but it is still a really good book.

6 comments:

  1. Great review. This book is so long, I don't know if I could read it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to read her books. I love the fact that when a book is written in verse, it doesn't hinder you in any way. Will have to check it out then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to get to Crank and then Tricks. I'm very curious about Hopkins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like an impressive piece. and in verse to boot. i'm curious too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... this book sounds kinda intense. I think I will add it to my one-day-when-I-am-brave!wishlist. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post... I can see that you put a lot of hard work on your blog. I'm sure I'd visit here more often.
    George
    from Magic Tricks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!