Saturday, November 7, 2009

Peace, Love and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle

Title: Peace, Love and Baby Ducks

Author: Lauren Myracle

Published: New York : Dutton Books, c2009

Pages: 292

Summary: Fifteen-year-old Carly's summer volunteer experience makes her feel more real than her life of privilege in Atlanta ever did, but her younger sister starts high school pretending to be what she is not, and both find their relationships suffering.

Review: One thing this book has going for it is the cover. I don't know why but I really like the cover. And the title also. It pretty much sums up the book because there is peace, there is love and yes there is also baby ducks. Actually I find the cover to be one of the reasons why I picked up this book in the first place. I think it's because it's a really simple but really effective cover.

Unfortunately, this wasn't my kind of book. There were a few things I didn't like and if I look at this book as things I liked and things I didn't there are more things I didn't like than did.

I didn't like any of the characters to be honest. I found most of them to be kind of flat and predictable. I thought the age difference between Carly and Anna not big enough for the kind of problems they faced with each other.

The story was alright. It was nothing unique and it wasn't really anything fantastic. But it wasn't too bad.

Before you think that all I'm doing is trashing this poor defenseless book, I did find some redeeming qualities. The book was a sweet one. Nothing overly bad happened and everything was handled quite well.

There was one part of the book that made me feel sad, because it was quite an emotional part of the book. There was also a part that made me laugh. So Lauren Myracle did a good job of capturing emotions.

Overall, Peace, Love and Baby Ducks just wasn't my kind of book. It was a really light read and I think it would be one of those books that would best be read as a light and breezy summer read. If you're a fan of books about girls at high school who come to terms with finding out who they are as people then this book will definitely be your type of book.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review, there are so many books out there they cant all be for all of us - LOL I love the cover of this one also - and thank you for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!