Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Belated October Wrap-Up

The end of October is here. Well actually it was a couple of days ago. But now I am here to talk about what happened over October and some bits about November.

So firstly, the books I read in October:
Meridian by Amber Kizer
Genesis by Bernard Beckett
Chibi Vampire Volume 12 by Yuna Kagesaki
Chibi Vampire Volume 13 by Yuna Kagesaki
Vampire Knight Volume 1 by Matsuri Hino
Peace, Love and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle
Tricks by Ellen Hopkins
Liar by Justine Larbalestier
Daddy Goes on A Trip by William G. Bentrim
The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
Chibi Vampire Volume 14 by Yuna Kagesaki
Black is for Beginnings by Laurie Faria Stolarz
Geektastic : Stories From the Nerd Herd
Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson
Blood Relatives Volume 3 by Ellen Schreiber
Another Faust by Daniel and Dina Nayeri
Avalon High by Meg Cabot
The Dreaming Volume One by Queenie Chan
The Dreaming Volume Two by Queenie Chan
The Dreaming Volume Three by Queenie Chan

I would have to say that my favourite book for this month would be Meridian by Amber Kizer

And I am quite happy with the amount of books I managed to read for October. It's definitely better than last month. I'm not sure how I'll do for book in November because I have exams this month. But then after that will be summer holidays and plenty of time to read.

As you may have noticed every single book reviewed this month was written by a New Zealand author. When I say New Zealand author I mean they were born here and most of them still live here. Or they moved here at a young age and consider themselves to be New Zealanders.

I had quite a lot of fun when it came to New Zealand Book Month. I remembered all of the awesome books around and I found some new gems. I also found some surprises as to who was from New Zealand. I know that I will definitely be reading more books by New Zealand authors.

Now what can you expect to see in November?

Well basically, I have been thinking about my blog and my reading habits and I have decided to try read more of a wider range of books and change the kind of books that I read. I'm not saying that I'll be giving up reading all the books I usually read but I will set myself some goals for what to read each month. And then I will try read some more on top of that. Anyway, I'm kind of blithering on so here is a list of reviews I hope to produce each month on top of the usual fiction books that I am always reading.

At least one book from a New Zealand author - there are two reasons why I'm doing this.
1. I really love books written by New Zealand authors and I've found heaps of awesome ones. 2. I think it's a good idea to let everyone know about all the awesome books I read to do with New Zealand.

One or two non-fiction books - I've already talked about this one previously and yeah I think I'll continue to do it.

Short Story Anthologies - I really have never been a fan of short stories until now. I've picked up a couple of short story anthologies and I thought, hey these are pretty cool, so I'm going to be reading a lot more of these.

Manga/graphic novels - I already read and review some of these but I figure why not read one or two a month and review them.

So yeah thats about all for changes to the content of my blog.

But I have also changed the colour scheme of my blog. I was reading a post by Velvet of vvb32 reads, and she mentioned this link about colours. I have decided on a new colour scheme.

There will be more changes coming soon. I'm not sure when they'll be done but I'm hoping they'll be done soon.


As far as reviews go, I have most of the books I read in October to post reviews up for. I am also going to be tweaking my review format a little. I'm finding them to be a little repetitive at the moment. Basically, from now on I'll be putting my thoughts on the book in the reviews and won't really have a set formula. So I will be mentioning whatever comes into mind about the books.

Oh and I have a new poll that I have made. So be sure to vote on that if you're interested or if you have an opinion on that.

I think thats about all I have to say for now. But yeah. Expect to be seeing a post nearly every day, if not every day.

So have a good November everyone. And if you are in the Southern Hemisphere (like me) enjoy the last month of spring and for you in the Northern Hemisphere enjoy the last month of autumn.

Oh and also, I now have two more things to add. I am being very chatty today.

1. I have decided to go on a quest for bookmarks throughout November and December because I have plans for next year and those plans involves lots of bookmarks.

2. Last month I reached 100 followers, of that I am very happy, thank you to all of you who follow my blog. I hope that I have given you some ideas about what to read.

3. Keep your eyes peeled for a contest coming up soon. If you comment on this post you can get an extra entry. This contest will be international too.

2 comments:

  1. Wow you read a lot this month. And you wrote a long post. But I read it all and would love to be included in the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE bookmarks, that's my thing to collect on trips, I guess. I only realized this recently, though. Have you noticed that it's harder to find good ones anymore?

    As for your poll, themed months can be fun, but can also be over-done and annoying or completely pointless. I think it's all about the approach and balance with the theme.

    I used to like short story anthologies, but the last several I've read have actually started to turn me off to the lot of them. I hope you can find and recommend some good ones to get me out of that frame of mind!

    Have fun re-figuring things!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!