Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thunder Road by Ted Dawe

Thunder Road by Ted Dawe
Published: Dunedin : Longacre Press, 2003

Nineteen year old Trace is sick of small town life. He moves to Auckland and finds himself rooming with Devon who's cynical, charismatic and seems to know what he's playing at. Devon introduces Trace to burn-offs, big city style. Soon everything is smoking. When Trace falls for a girl even Devon says is out of his league, loyalties are stretched. The Devon hits on a scheme for hauling in cash. Soon enough he and Trace find out who really controls the strip. As the underworld closes in, it looks like their friendship is heading for burn-out.

Thunder Road is quite an interesting book and I must say that it isn't a book I would normally read but it is something different.

I wouldn't say that I loved any of the characters because I found them all to be alright. They weren't really highly memorable to me.

They did have an interesting lifestyle though, basically it just followed the life of a guy who got into the wrong crowd. He got in with drug dealers etc.

Then there was also the 'boy racers' which was an interesting topic. It's quite a common thing in New Zealand.

Overall, I personally would say that this book was quite interesting and an entertaining read but it wasn't really my kind of book. This book is more recommended for a male audience but there's no reason why girls can't enjoy it.

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm this sounds like a book I could try to give my fiancee to read. Thanks for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading it at the moment and i find pretty good but not the best. I also feel that it is something i don't read much of.
    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is awesome and is one of my favourites because it throws you into the world of a destressed teen and it is a awesome read
    5/5 stars from the boyz at home

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just done this book as a novel study really good for teenage boys as they can relate and be involved in the book easy to remeber quotes and sence 5/5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you do a chapter by chapter recount? If so are you interested in sending to me?

      Delete
  6. My english teacher has just finshed reading this book to me and my class friend and i thought of this book as one you can read over and over again and i can understand what this story is about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WE READ IT IN CLASS IT WAS ALRITE I GUSSE BUT NOW I HAVE TO DO A POWER POINT AND ESSAY ON IT AT MY COLLEGE (KAPITI COLLEGE)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!