Saturday, October 17, 2009

Knitwits by William Taylor

Knitwits by William Taylor
Published: Auckland : Ashton Scholastic, 1992
Series: Book 1, Knitwits

Nine-year-old Charlie Kenny's life becomes chaotic when he gets himself into a bet that he can knit something for the baby his mother is expecting.

I've read this one twice. I have to say I don't actually remember Charlie being nine years old because he does not act like a nine year old.

Character-wise I really liked Charlie and Alice Pepper they both definitely make this novel highly enjoyable. While the summary says Charlie is nine I have to say that I don't really think this is a 'children's book' possibly older fiction or middle grade I suppose you could say.

Knitwits is the first book in a trilogy and it is the best but the other two are really good as well.

Throughout Knitwits I found myself rooting for Charlie wishing that he did win. I also had a lot of laughs. This is definitely a funny story. Charlie and Alice get up to a lot of crazy things and have some very funny ideas.

So, while this book is indeed for a slightly younger audience, Knitwits is a highly enjoyable novel for people of all ages.

The other two titles in the series are Numbskulls and Hark.

1 comment:

  1. I too enjoyed Knitwits. I liked the originality of the story line. With so much children's fiction around I'm in awe of authors who manage to write about something a bit different.
    Maureen Hume. www.thepizzagang.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!